When talking about Setting in picture books, our conversations steered towards how the illustrations really helped articulate the setting and feel. After many text models, students used pencil and watercolors to create their own setting. This kindergarten artist shared her setting, as the beach.[Log In To See Attachments]
Art of the Picture Book
Elementary students are naturals at expressing themselves in visual manners. I have found my students were lacking the language to articulate their understanding and observations when sharing picture book reflections and also in discussing their own art work. I have began explicit instruction on picture book discourse and art techniques, and tied that in with an Illustrator Workshop. This collection will reflect my lessons, findings, and new learning. I also will share student work.
Kindergarten students respond to Eric Carle's A house for Hermit Crab with new book covers. They used magazine paper to find things for Hermit's house and cut construction paper to make Hermit himself![Log In To See Attachments]
A kindergarten illustrator uses cut magazine paper and watercolor to supplement her message.[Log In To See Attachments]
I always have an Eric Carle Workshop that takes several days. First the kids make the paper![Log In To See Attachments]
Here's the 2nd page of patterns.[Log In To See Attachments]
Here's a picture of the finished project.[Log In To See Attachments]
I loved your idea and template. I thought it would be tricky for my K students, but they did an amazing job tracing, cutting, and putting the pieces together! Here is a picture of them...[Log In To See Attachments]
Beautiful Blackbird by Ashley Bryan
Make colorful birds...each with a touch of black!
Oil pastels and watercolor resist, just like the illustrations in this beautiful picture book. After students expressed in art what they see out their "hello, Goodbye Windows", I put a window sill template on them and laminated them. Students wrote a few sentences about what they see.[Log In To See Attachments]
We used paper scraps to make bees and label the body parts. This was an extension of our science unit on bugs and also our study of non fiction access features that help navigate the reader through nf text.[Log In To See Attachments]