• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

08-09 Literacy Units

BookMuncher

self portrait anthology

The idea comes from Awakening the Heart by Georgia Heard. If I remember it correctly, they select poems from poetry books in the classroom, as well as writing some of their own. The emphasis is on not just their hobbies, looks, and likes, but their heart.

I don't know if I'm going to get to it in December, but they are really fun! They've got to have some major poetry schema, though, and I don't know if I'll be there. :rolleyes: Let me know if you try it!

liketeaching1

Not there

Oh, I'm definitely not there with schema for poetry. I was thinking maybe just a "free write" about facets of themselves and personalities. Maybe next year!

liketeaching1

Thanks BookMuncher

This blog thread has kept me so focused this year. I keep returning to your plans as well as others. Whenever I have thoughts of treading through water and getting nowhere, I try to refocus and think of the "year" and not the week or the day.

BTW, I miss hearing your thoughts!

JKB

Hi Bookmuncher!

I can't tell you how many times I have read your blogs and enjoyed your thoughts and ideas! I don't always "reply", but I do read your words, often! I appreciate your willingness to share!

Just wanted to "pop in" and wish you a Very Merry Christmas!

My best,
JKB
<!--christmastree-->

glassful

marrying reading and writing

I'm new to Proteacher but I've been reading a book by Pam Allyn called The Complete 4 and The Complete Year in Reading and Writing by Patty Vitale-Reilly and Pam Allyn and both "appear" to be helpful....Since I haven't finished either nor have I begun to put my thoughts in writing I was wondering if anyone has used these and if so how successful were they?

Advertisement