• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

3rd grade teachers

Reading | Literature 

starfish92

I need some help. I’m retired now or I would ask in my building. What are some great books that a 3rd grade boy would like? It’s my great nephew’s birthday and I would like to add a book to his gift. I understand he does like chapter books and is a great reader. Any suggestions? He loves sports.

Advertisement

RealisticPreK

The Redwall series by Brian Jacques

They are funny. There are maybe 15 books in the series. By the time my 4th grade son finished reading snd re-reading (which took him 2 years) because they were so entertaining, he was reading on a high school level.

Gordon Korman’s Beware the Fish and This can’t be happening to McDonald Hall. Both very funny. I overheard my grade school son chuckling while reading one of them.

There are a couple of picture books based on the chronicles of narnia that set up an interest in reading the Narnia books.

I read My Fathers Dragon to a group of preschoolers, and I loved the story.

Last edited:

Singvogel

Loves sports

Dan Gutman-

Baseball card adventure series, 12 in the series:https://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Card-Adventures-12-Book-Box/dp/0062980246/ref=asc_df_0062980246/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459726190744&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15364037180886508968&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031329&hvtargid=pla-945631828778&psc=1

He also has several other sports-themed books. The above are around fifth grade reading level, but he also has others starting at third grade level.

Advertisement