• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

50 days in and it is going to be a Long year.

Classroom Management 

Chimneygrl

Today was our 50th day of school,and it was awful. At the end of the day I wanted to rip my hair out and bang my head against the wall. I have a very immature class and they are also very lows only 4 out of 20 passed their reading assessment..so I have my work cut out for me, but what is killing me is their behavior. We have practiced and I have modeled over and over again with no luck at any change. Everyone says that I have a pre-first grade class....sigh.

Advertisement

funkster

I understand..

I have a class like that this year. They will not fall into routines, if I miss a single day in the classroom, the next day I am back is like the first day of school. By afternoon they just want to go home, they are tired and done with school.
I am so frustrated because this is not the first time I have had a class like this, but in the past I had choices and control. It is so very frustrating for me to know what I should do, but am no longer allowed to do. I need to change the schedule and have science, social studies and shared reading in the afternoon. Those subjects will be interesting to them and not so taxing. Because of state testing our schedule is set in stone and I have to teach math for a full 90 minutes. It's all about the scores and not about the kids.
Keep trying is all I can say. Some days you will see improvement and you will know they are taking baby steps towards better behavior.
Hang in there. You are doing all that anyone could do.

Buzzworthy

Wow,

I think you must have my class. This is absolutely the most immature group I have ever had. I feel like a kindergarten teacher most days trying to force kindergarten students to do first grade work. They are no where near ready or capable. Uggh

cassita

Yes yes

I thought I was the only teacher going through that this year. I also have an immature group of 1st graders. This was a hard week for me too. Just waiting on Thanksgiving break. I have to rethink strageties to close the gap. It seems as though they missed their kinder year.

odiet1

With you

I believe you are talking about my class. Trying to get the routines down has been difficult. But I keep plugging away at modeling and giving them chances to practice the skills they should have mastered long ago. I find my class has very little stamina or "rigor" (like the CCSS says they need) to keep at it. I do think that if I keep doing what I'm doing that at 100 days I will see some change for the better. Good Luck! Keep at it....you're doing a great job it's your students' turn now.

ginadoo

My colleagues and I all agree. All 4 of our rooms are low and having a hard time listening and learning. They are the lowest group we have had in years. Someone said these kids were born right as the economy was collapsing, Bush was leaving office and people were losing jobs. Time for a thesis... how could the stress on the parents affect the kids?? Makes you wonder!

Lakeside

...Someone said these kids were born right as the economy was collapsing, Bush was leaving office and people were losing jobs. Time for a thesis... how could the stress on the parents affect the kids?? Makes you wonder!

Absolutely thesis material! The class of "9-11 babies" is the most difficult in my district. (I sub, so I've known them from K to 7.) I definitely think it has an effect.

Lakeside

...I need to change the schedule and have science, social studies and shared reading in the afternoon. Those subjects will be interesting to them and not so taxing. Because of state testing our schedule is set in stone and I have to teach math for a full 90 minutes. It's all about the scores and not about the kids....

I wish the powers that be would realize that focusing on the kids would raise the "right" scores!

Anyway, for being stuck doing math in the afternoon, definitely get them moving. March while you skip-count, walk on a number line (tape on the floor), that sort of thing. I still think math should be in the morning, but it helps a little.

Advertisement