• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

A Joy of Retirement

travelingfar

It is 9:45 here, and I'm still in my pajamas drinking coffee. Yesterday was very busy, and I have no desire to get going. I spent 37 years getting ready to get to work early. Now that I'm retired I get to choose how to spend my time. It is the best.

Advertisement

Ima Teacher

It is 4:00 in the afternoon, and I’m still in my pajamas. We had nothing on the agenda for today, so I haven’t done anything particularly productive, which is just fine with me.

It’s a definite perk.

linda2671

That was my favorite part too.

I had a year after I retired that I could sleep late, do what I wanted all day, and just relax. But alas, in May, my MIL came to visit for 3 months, planning to leave in August. She's decided she likes it here so well, that she'll stay here. I love her dearly, but I'm kind of selfishly wishing I had my freedom back. I kind of feel like a full time nurse. She's not an invalid, but I have to drive her to appointments, manage her meds, cut her hair, cook her meals (which are salt-free and fat-free), and entertain her. Like I said, I love her dearly, but I kind of miss sprawling on the couch watching my Hallmark movies (which she hates). But I'm glad that she's healthy and loves us so much she wants to be here.

Advertisement

letsgomets

I definitely

love setting my own pace every day. I get up when I wake up - naturally and not with an alarm (although sometimes because of the dog). I exercise at some point, and I go to bed when I want. I am loving that and appreciate it so much now that we are both retired. No alarms at all.

twinmom95

I enjoy "easing" into my mornings, though I am an early riser anyway ( 5:30 to 6:30). However, I walk with a friend many mornings in summer at 7:30 or 8 so she can get to her class at the Y afterwards in time and also so we can beat the heat.

I look forward to cooler temps this fall when we can walk AFTER her class! This will be my first year being able to do that! :D

Violets2

I'm still on "summer vacation" since my district doesn't go back for a few more weeks. But so great not thinking about what days I'm headed in to set up my room before the week of PD. By now, I'd be numbering my days down and dreading it. I'm enjoying my slow mornings too and getting to my activities by 9:30 which seems early enough for me :D

Shelby3

retired

The little things are big! Not having to schedule important phone calls and praying you aren't put on hold or transferred. Not having to hit the floor running five days a week. Using the bathroom anytime you chose. Having a conversation and knowing you won't be interrupted. Heaven!

Renea

I love retirement mornings. I slept late the first years after retirement but now set my alarm for 6:15. I start the day slowly with podcasts and make a real breakfast ... at least better than the hasty grab and dash I had when I was working. I swim mornings at a very below average Y but feel like I'm at a spa. Heck, I'm swimming when I would have been taking attendance and getting bundles of energy settled into the had work of their day.

Summerwillcom

It is 9:45 here, and I'm still in my pajamas drinking coffee. Yesterday was very busy, and I have no desire to get going. I spent 37 years getting ready to get to work early. Now that I'm retired I get to choose how to spend my time. It is the best.
I am going on my 3rd year, and still am thankful every single morning as I sit leisurely drinking my coffee in my nightgown! I feel the same way about having gotten up super early most of my life. I am so thankful I don't have to anymore.
There are so many other perks to retirement, but that is the 1st 1 I think of every single morning.

Caroltn4

There's a school about half a block away from me (actually the same one I attended for elementary school), and I can hear the students at recess if I am outside. It feels good to think, "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"

travelingfar

There's a school about half a block away from me (actually the same one I attended for elementary school), and I can hear the students at recess if I am outside. It feels good to think, "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"
I live a block away from an elementary school. It is nice to walk or drive by and not be teaching anymore. It was especially gratifying on Halloween when I saw lots of cars on the street as parents and teachers got ready for classroom parties.

twinmom95

I live a block away from an elementary school. It is nice to walk or drive by and not be teaching anymore. It was especially gratifying on Halloween when I saw lots of cars on the street as parents and teachers got ready for classroom parties.
I live right next door to the elementary school where I taught the last 32 years until I retired in June. I see it from my couch. I love seeing all the cars in the parking lot and knowing I don't have to be there anymore except when I feel like subbing or volunteering! :)

Advertisement