• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Binders in grade two?

Language Arts | Writing 

Mrs G

Hi
I just got 25 view binders for only $12!! I coild keep them for my theme units but would consider giving them to the kiddos. Does anyone have experience using them with students? Can second graders use/manage them for ongoing work? Perhaps as a math journal or for some other way to keep their work? Folders get messy. Would it be too dangerous for pinching little fingers/

Advertisement

bookbadger

Binders

I think binders would be easier for organizing...but I am not sure about the pinching fingers question. I think it would depend on the binder. Hopefully others will post an answer. I would try it but be sure to give them a tutorial of safe handling.

lasflores

Bunders

I've used binders in my class for years. I can't think of anyone getting pinched. I do go over opening and closing them. Remind them not to lay their arms over the rings when they close them.

pausebutton

Not sure if this is possible, but if each student brought in a pack of page protectors, they could just slip in the papers and not have to worry about opening and closing the rings. I'm sure your supply list is already out though...just a thought for next year maybe.

Advertisement

Marcimcg

Binders

My first graders use a binder for their poetry collection.

Kids easily learn to open and close. Snapping sound drives me crazy but they don't do it too often.

I put all their writing journals in the binder too at year's end for them to keep.

So I think 2nd graders could manage them.

ACRteach

binders

We have the kids bring 20 sheet protectors and a binder as part of their school supplies. I put each kid's sheet protectors into the binder at the beginning of the year. We use them as each kid's Writing Portfolio (different than Writing Folder). After each writing unit, kids take their 3 favorite finished drafts + their published pieced and slide them each into a sheet protector in the binder. Kids can bring their Writing Portfolios home at the end of each unit to share with their families and then bring it right back to keep at school. The benefits are two-fold: Communicating with families AND cleaning out their writing folders before the next unit!

We keep adding to it and by the end of the year it's full and shows so much growth! They take it home as a keepsake. :)

luckytoteach

My students use binders instead of take-home folders. I use a sheet protector to hold a class list and lunch calendar. A hole punched folder is added to put graded/completed work and their planner is added to the binder. Also, homework sheets and any notes from me go into the front pocket and any info from the school go into the back pocket. It works for me.

essence253

Binders

I use binders in my kindergarten class. The students use them as homework binders. Inside, I keep the homework journal, conduct sheets, and study sheets. Using them made my life much easier because everything is stored in one place. This year I'm also going to add the red weekly folder that goes home on Tuesdays.

frogdogs

binders

My kids have math binders that get used every day. We've never had any pinched fingers (knock on wood!) and the kids are great at keeping them organized. I had to get new ones this year because the others had been through 4 years of 2nd graders - who are not terribly gentle with things!

The binders are one of my students' favorite tools and I strongly recommend doing something similar.

connieg

I was the binder queen when I taught second grade. I bought binders for each child and they were used instead of folders. The binder taught them organization. I also used binders for every subject and unit I taught. I must have had 40-50 binders of my own. Google the topic and you will see all kinds of suggestions.

dadsgirl70

Binders

I <!--heart--> binders. I used them when I taught 1st, 2nd, and 4th grades several years ago. The binders worked well for me. My binders included: a pencil pouch for lunch money, lunch menu, homework assignments, spelling lists, math facts, notes for parents, etc. The binders were taken home everyday and returned the next day.

Advertisement