• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Blue Apron

crackerjill

A post a ways down mentioned eating to lose weight, and I was going to reply there, but wanted to start a different conversation.

BF and I struggle with portion control (we eat semi-healthy, but eat so much of it, we don't save any calories).

We decided to try Blue Apron, the meal service.

We got our first box on Saturday, and it came with 3 recipe cards (shrimp and grits, tomato basil burgers, and three cup chicken). And the ingredients for all of those meals for two people.

We had the Shrimp and Grits last night, and other than slightly runny grits, it was really good.

Anyone else tried a service like this?

Advertisement

h0kie

My brother got me a 4 week subscription for Mother's Day (he's sweet like that). I really liked it! Initially, I thought the portion sizes were going to be too small for me, DH, and DS but they're actually perfect.

My only issue is each meal is about 600-700 calories. :eek: That's half my calories FOR THE DAY.

I've heard Plated is better in terms of portion sizes, but I've never tried it.

Bethany

I've never heard of Blue Apron, but we have a couple of places where I live that sells portion controlled healthy meals. I've been ordering those for the last 2 weeks and they are pretty good (and I'm very, very picky!). They're $8 a meal, so kind of pricey, but worth it in my opinion, because I hate to cook.

jazzer

So the ingredients are all there in the box and the recipient tells you how to put it together? I wouldn't want to spend money on something that would still require me to go shopping to buy more ingredients to make the items but might consider something like that if it is all there for you.

h0kie

Jazzer, everything you need to make the meal is included, labelled, and measured out. It's super simple.

I love that I get a recipe too so that I can make the meal again if we really like it. (We've already made several of the meals again.)

I love to cook so it's a great way to try new ingredients and types of cooking. I love Za'tar spice...who knew!?

• image.jpg
    37.3 KB
Last edited:
Advertisement

new1stgrader

My DH was talking about getting a service like this for me as a present. I went online to look at Blue Apron, Plated, and Hello Fresh. They all seemed interesting. Maybe we'll give one a try for a few weeks.

crackerjill

Haha, yeah, you still have to do the cooking. But I found it really nice to have everything measure already, so all I had to do was chop, and then cook. For some reason it seemed easier than following my usual recipes.

I'm really excited to try the burgers tonight. I don't normally cook things like this, so it will be a good learning experience for me!

Dawn

We've been doing Blue Apron for about 6 months and I really like it. It has taken away a lot of the stress of menu planning and shopping. It has also kept me out of the grocery store which has ended a lot of my impulse buying.

It's just the 2 of us and the portions are BIG. We usually save a portion for a lunch the next day for one of us.

A really cool thing is that it keeps my fridge from being cluttered. If a recipe calls for something obscure, like champagne wine vinegar or a sprig of cilantro, the Blue Apron sends me just enough. So I'm not left with the rest of the bottle of vinegar to sit in my pantry forever, or all that cilantro to wither in the fridge.

Most meals cook up in 30 minutes. And even when a recipe looks really crazy and I'm sure I'll hate it, I really like it. I think in 6 months there have only been 2 meals that I just didn't want to finish. Most are delicious and all are prepared with fresh veggies.

I'm not sure it would be great for families with kids, but for us empty nesters, it's great.

CLHS

We've done Blue Apron and Hello Fresh and have found we enjoy the meals from Hello Fresh a bit better. It is really convenient having everything you need to make meals for the week.

Advertisement