• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

BTS dreams

Linda/OH

Twinmom's post about August reminded me of something else. I used to have back to school dreams in August all the time. This is my third year of retirement.

Recently I had a dreaded dream! I was at a school in a long dark hallway. I kept asking someone where the desks are , where will the students sit? I was told "on the floor". I woke up feeling so rattled-weird!

Anyone else have dreams?

Advertisement

Munchkins

Not dreams…

But I do have moments of feeling like I should be doing something. My bff said it took her a year to fully relax since she’d still feel stress during high stress school times, like report cards or conferences. Must be muscle memory of some kind!

Tori58

Yes! They have eased off a bit, but earlier in August I was having them every night, right on schedule, even though I don't plan to ever teach or sub again. I have always had them in August and I've always hated it. I thought I'd be free of that this year, but apparently my brain needed some time to process the fact that I'm well and truly done.

mhugs

school dreams

Retired in 2000 and I'm still having school dreams (nightmares).
Not sure what triggers them, but always glad they are dreams!!!

lisa53

Yep, I still have those dreams sometimes. They are usually nightmares, with inadequate facilities and obnoxious students featured.

I used to think this was just a teacher phenomenon, but GF remembers his dreams pretty well, and at least once a week he has a work dream. He was a visiting nurse for the VA, usually dealing with vets who had addictions and/or mental health problems. He loved his job, but like teaching, there were some aspects of the work that were challenging.

I think we were fortunate to have work that was interesting enough that our brains still want to process it even years into retirement!

Advertisement