• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Chair pockets

Other 

Teacherbee_4

I've seen classrooms with chair pockets for storing things. I know you can buy these through Really Good Stuff, learning stores, etc. However, our classroom budget is solely for literacy related items (books, literacy related games, educational magazines-scholastic, National Geographic, Time for Kids, word work materials, guided reading materials, etc.) I won't be allowed to use literacy money on chair pockets...already asked...even if they are used to store literacy stuff. Anyway, with no school money for it, I'll have to buy my own if I want them, which I don't want to do. However, I was thinking, do you think I could buy fabric and sew some? Or even use paper bags with something (maybe ribbon?) for straps? Any ideas on how to make these at a cheap cost? I'd really like my kids to be able to store a mini whiteboard, white board marker, and an old sock (eraser) for math work, word work, review games, Smartboard games (for those not at the Smartboard), etc.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks! :)

Advertisement

Teddi9192

I have used

cheap pillow cases. Fold in 3rds in a z shape. sew through all thickness at the sides and you will have 2 pocket at the back.

Laci Lou

Home Depot Aprons

You could ask if Home Depot would donate their work aprons, but they might be a little small for everything you described. Sorry, I don't know how much they cost if you had to purchase them.

Another idea may be the fabric grocery bags. I think I've read that Walmart sells theirs for around 50 cents.

Good luck and let us know what you choose. I love an inexpensive, crafty project. :)

lasflores

made mine last year

and they held up great, I bought fabric on sale and mine all look the same. I brought them home this summer and washed them. Not one had to be repaired. It took us (my mom helped) about 2 hours to make a set of 23. This year I am going to paint numbers on them so students and tell which chair is theirs.
PM me if you want to see a picture, or I can send you the pattern I used, I found it here on PT

GeminiTwin

stretchy book covers

I saw on Pinterest that someone used fabric book covers with one side hung over the back of the chair and the other side for the pocket. It might work.

Teacherbee_4

Good idea

I saw on Pinterest that someone used fabric book covers with one side hung over the back of the chair and the other side for the pocket. It might work.

Good idea! How would they stay attached to the chair to the chair? Do you think it would be sturdy enough to hold a white board slate?

Advertisement

1982Teacher

Chair Pockets

I wasn't even thinking about chair pockets. Now that I see how easy they are to do - thinking about making them. Thanks for the great idea.

Charl

I have heard of people asking the students to bring in a pillow case and then sewing those into covers. I would specify new cases that are unused because I asked my students to bring in pillow cases at the end of the year to make memory pillow cases out of and they brought in some pillow cases that were surprising. These were not low income students either.

You could ask for parents to donate packs of pillow cases when school starts. We always have a giving tree where we ask for things for the classroom that are not on the supply list.

phebe07

This link takes you to a website where they make chair pockets. You just specify the dimensions and select from the color choices available.

teachersartbox.com/pocket-chair-covers

fish2

It does work - I use them in my room, just flip one side inside out and slide over the back of the seat, letting the other pocket face out. I used them for dry erase boards, markers, erasers, and a folder for things they could work on when finished with other work (slid copies in page protectors, had things like addition and subtraction practice, spelling words, etc).

lasflores

back of chair

It is a little wrinkled because I brought them home washed, and dried them and they sat in the dryer awhile. I do plan on putting numbers on them somewhere as a way students can identify them.

• back of chair.jpg
    65.4 KB

lasflores

front of chair

I did bring a chair home so that I could make them the size I needed

• front of chair.jpg
    51.9 KB

prec0ci0us

Chair Pocket

I used the pattern that lasflores posted. I used a heavy material. This will be my third year using them. I have had two tear that will need to replace this summer but over all they have held up very well.

Here is the back. Now that I have book boxes they only thing that goes in the pocket is their work folder.

• Chair Pocket.jpg
    25.4 KB

deb603

stretchy book covers

Try to get the extra large ones. They work well for light things like white boards, markers, journals, etc. No sewing required and you can find them at back to school sales fairly cheaply and in cool colors/patterns.

MsMonkey

jumbo stretchy book covers

I found some large stretchy book covers at this site: http://www.usschoolsupply.com/product/Jumbo_Stretchable_Bookcovers/Book_Covers
They come in a pack of 24 and are less than $1 piece + shipping and handling.

Is that what you were talking about deb603? Do you have a picture of them in use that you could share? I'd hate to order them and then not like them. I might just go pick a single one up somewhere and try it out.

deb603

MsMonkey

I don't have a picture, but here is a thread from last year with some pictures attached. Hope this helps!