• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Cleaning cupboards

Song of Joy

My schedule is odd this year. I tutor and told my clients I wouldn't travel this year, so I have several days with a 2 or 3 hour gap. I thought if I tackle just one drawer, cupboard, small storage area at a time that I could get the house decluttered in a month or two. Nope, I counted 100 storage spaces. I included things like the drawer in the coffee table, etc. Yikes! How many storage spaces do you have? I counted each drawer separately, so my kitchen has about 40.

Advertisement

twinmom95

My kitchen has 17. Very old house ( about 120 years old) so a real lack of closets ( 2 bedrooms share a small closet...a door to each room). Also no linen closets. Might sound like less to clean and organize, but it makes finding spots for everyone's "stuff" tricky. ( and dirt basement, so only paint cans, etc get stored down there)

TeaPro

It never occurred to me to count my storage spaces. I have plenty, but they pretty much all need cleaning and organizing. I like your idea, though. When I just have a little time, I don't want to start something like a craft project that I can't finish in one sitting, so a little drawer decluttering would be a good use of time.

Ima Teacher

Well, now I’m curious. Off to count spaces.

Update: Roughly 125 drawers & cabinets, not counting the ones in closets, garages, and attics. đź‘€

I will occasionally dump a drawer into a plastic tote and sort everything. I did my pajama drawer earlier in the week, and the drawers in my makeup vanity recently, too.

Last edited:

Linda/OH

Interesting. I hadn't thought of counting spaces either. I just counted the kitchen=24. Rest of house probably another 60. We did a major decluttering when we remodeled the kitchen this summer. So far it's staying pretty neat.

Advertisement

readbks2

I guess I'll be counting today! I'm not sure I'll find 100 drawers, but I could be wrong. I know that it will be easier to count them than to clean them!

CricketSpecEd

I'm tired now just counting! 195 drawers and cabinets as well as 11 closets, 4 of which are walk-in closets. There's also the basement and garage.

Advertisement