• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Create an entrance to your library!

liketeaching1

KQueen

:s)Welcome to Pro Teacher! I hope you enjoy learning from cyber friends as much as I do.

By the way--you are soooo lucky to be near BookMuncher in real life! She is such an inspiration to many of us.

BookMuncher

liketeaching

Sorry! I forgot to take a picture last week... if Kqueen doesn't mind, that is. If you met her, you'd see that really I"M the lucky one- she is SUCH a talented kindergarten teacher, loved by all!!

I'll get on that picture taking!

KQueen

I couldn't be more thrilled!

BookMuncher, I am planning on bringing my camera tomorrow to take pics of my castle. I'll admit that I'll need your help (or my brilliant hubby's!) to post the pics...(I am "Dibelling" all day tomorrow, ugh, so I'll need to lay eyes on my castle to get a "pick-me-up!!")

liketeaching1

Question: BookMuncher, KQueen

By looking at the picture, it appears there is a piece of plastic that the entire proscenium is attached (at the top). Is this my imagination?

KQueen

Thanks so much for the Welcome!

I have been reading and learning from ProTeacher all year long, since BookMuncher mentioned the site, but was never brave enough to join my voice to all of you talented teachers. So glad that I now have!! :-)

Honestly, I am grateful each and every day to be so near BookMuncher! Not only is she a brilliant teacher and an inspiration, she is a giving, sharing, supportive (and funny!) person. We are ALL lucky to learn from her, huh?!?

I will be more than happy to take and share some pics of the castle! I am so very excited about this, and it is remarkable! Please just be patient with me, as I know I'll need help posting the pic...my hubby is the techie in the family!!

KQueen

The length of the proscenium is simply attached to the plastic/metal ceiling tile supports by clips. The felt was tucked under the ceiling tiles, and then the clips (only took about 4 or so) were added "just in case!" The children really are careful about brushing past the legs, and I know that it is securely attached. Hope this explanation helps! :-)

liketeaching1

KQueen, thanks

Thanks, after your post and looking again at the picture I see!!:D

I can't wait to see your "castle". I'm sure that adding it after the kids are familiar with your classroom makes them appreciate it all the more! (I taught K for years!)

I can imagine some of the kids jerking it right off the ceiling at the beginning of school. LOL

BookMuncher will get to share with your K kids when they move up! Thanks for the insight into her personality--I guessed she was caring and supportive already! (Didn't know that funny part but guessed from some of her "funny" lines on PT. One that sticks in my mind was when she described her classroom last summer and told about the first aid station in her "home sweet home". I think she said "I don't care if they Junie B Jones themselves by sticking bandaids all over themselves!"

judy

Wow!

What a wonderful idea! I wish I had the room for things like that. My room just does not lend itself to creativity...ha......also we are not allowed to hang anything from the ceiling at all......Have you thought about lending your sister out? How creative!

BookMuncher

castle proscenium

Here's KQueen's castle... it's not nearly as "artsy" as the one made by the artist. Her's was tricky because it couldn't have supported itself for very long if we would have hung the two turret points from the drop ceiling and just the jaggedy middle parts from the skinny border area. So what we did, was actually staple on blue paper and the gray felt is what's tucked in. I need a sketch to explain it better. The basic idea is that it's an "illusion" -- really it's three pieces of rectangular gray felt with things stapled on top to look like the right shape. Does that make sense?

• proteacher-castle.jpg
    79.3 KB
Last edited:

1stgradenew

Awesome!

You and your sister must be similar- b/c that looks quite "artsy" to me! I think it is amazing...and I totally get what you're saying about the blue paper.

Now- I wonder how that would work in a 5th grade room...haha!

BookMuncher

maybe not a castle...

but what's your theme, "1st"grade"new"?

I think that any age could enjoy a little pep in their classroom!! ;)

liketeaching1

I Beg

to differ, BookMuncher and KQueen--it is very artsy! It is beautiful. And yes, I do understand how you created it. Thanks for sharing the picture!

jumprope

Suspended
K Castle

I love the castle! It is absolutely wonderful. What a great way to motivate the kids to get lost in the magic of reading. Our school theme is Ocean. Any ideas? :)

BookMuncher

ocean

Could you have three sections of blue- the two on the side would have two tall pieces of coral, and the top would have the water line and fish swimming across?

kaycee1128

KQueen

It sounds like you and bookmuncher are very lucky to have eachother!!! I am quite jealous.

KQueen...Do you have a theme for your classroom that ties in with the castle?

I just read jumprope's post and I was thinking "get lost in the magic of reading" might be perfect!

I know our fire marshall would never go for it but he only comes once a year so it just may have to come down that day!

alibaba

Prooscenium

Wow! That is just beautiful. What a way to set your library apart from the rest of the room, and another great idea for us to use.

I did something similar once by making a felt gingerbread house, door and all, out of felt. I hung it by a tension rod across our classroom door. It was fun walking through it to enter our room.

Even though it is the end of the year, your blog has me looking forward to next year. I am moving to second grade from third. Your blogging will really be beneficial. I'd better get printing!

Are you sticking with second grade?

liketeaching1

How is it working?

Just wondering how the proscenium (I'm using a big word here<!--eyebrow-->) is working out--surrounding your library. I've been taking look after look at my classroom library and envisioning it surrounded. Since my school begins with B and my last name begins with N, I'm thinking of making it like a Barnes and Noble bookstore--only I would use my school name and my name instead.

I guess what I'm asking--did this get claustrophobic in any way!

Wish I could be there to see your 2nd grade send off! Share with us what you're doing.

BookMuncher

cool!

I love that idea of a book store! How neat that your names match it! The proscenium is fine- The one I'm making for next year will have slightly skinnier legs on either side- that's the only thing I don't like. The one leg doesn't have furniture in front of it. Anyways- even though it always gets brushed, it looks the same and seems pretty sturdy.

My send off isn't really anything special-- we're singing and dancing to three songs: Each of Us is a Flower, Mighty Tree of Life (during the verses, we're going to turn the music down and each say a way we've changed- not really academically), and Lean on Me. I'll show a slide show and then give awards. And that's it! I'll just be concentrating on my ONE goal- to save the crying for a time without 45 parents in my room!! :o

read4riel

I want one too!!

Ok - I LOVE the prosecenium! For us less creative types, how do you start? Do you just measure the length from ceiling to floor and then the width you want and then purchase whatever material you want? That was such a run-on sentence/question! I showed my husband your pictures so he knew what I wanted. I already have him painting one wall. My library is MY FAVORITE part of my room so I really want one. I just need some guidance. And of course, once done, yes I will share pictures if I can figure out how to post. I'm still new to the site.
I'm so excited!!!

tennisace

me too

Can you email me your website? I would like pictures of your classroom. I am new to PT. How do I go about contacting you?

BookMuncher

read4riel

Yup-- just measure from floor to ceiling. I didn't need to worry about the width- don't buy more just because of that because I think most felt is the size that you'll want to split it in half at least.

For the one I'm making for next year, I layed it out on the ground and eyed it up. I actually cut it more into thirds because half would have worked, but I wanted to be sure that it wasn't getting on my nerves later in the year. I used the extra third to make branches that reached into the middle.

Charl

More Pics?

BookMuncher, I wish I would have read this last year! These are awesome! You have inspired me to do this in my first grade classroom this year. Thanks for the pictures from you and others. If there are other pictures like the last one you made, I would love to see them. I can't get into my building now to measure fabric.<!--grumpy--> I have a new project that is going to look great! Thanks
for your blog. You really love reading and are inspiring.

Advertisement