• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Do you give Thank You cards?

Other 
T

Thankyous

Ever since I could remember, I wrote thank you cards or letters upon receiving a gift. I'm a new 4th and 5th grade teacher at my current elementary school and the gifts from my students are pouring in. With each one, I write and give them a small thank you with wishes for a happy holiday and new year.

Another teacher said to me today " Wow... you give thank you cards? I've never seen that done before"... not in a mean way really, just like its never been done before?!?

Do you give thank you's? I can't be the only one?

Advertisement
T

Thankyous

Just to add

If you don't give cards, thats a-ok too! :) I'd just like to hear if you do or do not. I'm just hoping it doesn't look weird or a wrong thing to do. I am a second - year teacher, so still learning some of the ins and outs! :)

MiddlingAZ

Good for you and NO, you are definitely not the only one! I posted last year because for the first time I was sending e-cards for thank you notes (not an e-mail, a beautifully animated thank you). There were many responses about teacher thank yous, from notepad notes sealed with a sticker and handed out the next day, to commercial notecards mailed over the break, to handmade cards given out the first day back. NO ONE said they don't write notes of appreciation! I am always so touched that families of my middle school students spend the money and make the effort to give to all of their child's teachers <!--lovestruck-->

Who me?

I used to until a much more experienced teacher told me not to. She said that we should not accept gifts from kids, so writing Thank you notes is an admission of receiving some. I just say thank you verbally, and show them that I'm using their gift.

loril72

I do

I have always tried to write a thank you note to the student/parents. I feel like it sets an example for the students and I try to use the "friendly letter" format, so I think of it as a learning tool too! Don't worry, I think the students appreciate coming back and finding a note in their desk.

bhiteacher

I write them too

Like loril72, I write them as examples for my students. I've been told by them that no one has ever given them a thank you card so I'm glad I can give them the experience that their generosity and thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Advertisement

choosejoy

Yes, I write them every year as well. The past few years I have cut the cards I received from the previous year and used the back of the front to write my thank you notes. <!--christmasA-->

Reader

thank you

Yes I have always given thank you notes and I know that all my teaching colleagues on my site do as well.

NJ Teacher

Definitely

When stamps were cheaper, I would mail them. Now, I hand them out in school and have them place them in their folders to make sure they go home. I also write them for gifts from faculty members. Of course, I could count on one hand the number of thank you notes I receive from children in my class for the gifts I give them for the holidays.

7more

Thank you cards

Of course I give thank you cards. It's good manners and it shows the gift giver your appreciation! I hate it when I give my daughter's middle school teachers gifts and not one even bothers to send an email or a card.

mommasboys

I always write thank yous. I usually show a movie on the last day and take that time as the kids are watching to get them all written and distributed.

rlyndecker

Me!

I have always been taught the same thing- write a thank you note. Since I don't get too many gifts, I actually mail them because I know how much I love getting snail mail still. I used to write them the next day so that they would go out quickly but this year I am slow, it's already Wed. & I haven't done them yet. I still haven't sent regular cards out to friends/family (gave to the school staff only as of now)

BamaBabe

Yes,

I write thank you notes. Several years ago I started opening Christmas presents early in the day. Then the students can enjoy their party and not wait for me to open gifts. This allows me to write notes throughout the day and send them home with my gifts to the students. <!--stocking-->

tammynj

I always do

I think it's rude not to give one. Also, as a Language Arts teacher, I try to model for my students the correct format.

Now that I teach middle school, I don't get as many as I did when I taught at a Catholic school in a self-contained room. So it's easier for me now to just keep up with them during the day. When I was at my previous school and received so many, I wrote them out over break and gave them to the kids when we got back. At the end of the year, I would mail a thank-you card to each child.

1956BD

Yes

I write thank you cards to my students. They are waiting in their boxes at school. They will go home in the first parent communication folder of 2012. I really appreciate the fact that I am included in their gift list each year. Very sweet. <!--lovestruck-->

GreyhoundGirl

I do...

Yes. I keep a package of thank you cards at school so if kids bring gifts the last day I can throw them in their mailboxes at school. Not only is it how I was raised but the kids <!--lovestruck--> getting them. One year I actually ran out of cards because I forgot to stock up so I made them on Microsoft Publisher and personalized it for each kid-they really liked that.

I haven't gotten many gifts in the last few years because of where I've been teaching so I really like to take the time to thank the kids and families who get me something.