• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Exhausted

Crazy3

Just home from helping out at DS and DIL's place 2 .5 hours away. Both adults are nurses. DIL had to work 2, 12 hours shifts and DS was sick. Daycare had Covid and flu and had to close. DGK's are 17 months and almost 4. Made meals and did laundry. Diaper changes, baths, played, read books and repeat. Their big 70 lbs. dog loves me and thinks he is a lap dog so every time I sat down he snuggled me. We stayed 4 days . Home now, totally exhausted, but had the best time. DGD now calls me Grammie instead of Grandma. I love it. So happy they call us to help out when they are in need of help and not just for a visit. DIL was teary when we left, but told her we would be back in a few weeks. So lovely to me that my DIL trusts us so much with their precious ones and our precious GK's. Her mom lives in the same city which I don't understand. Just feeling so very happy and did I say exhausted.

Advertisement

maxwell

What a lucky DIL to have you there in a crisis! How wonderful that you were willing and able to help. A great way to make memories with you grandchildren and the dog!

kahluablast

What a lovely story. I remember the days when my kids were little and we were about eight hours away and knew no one. My parents helped me quite a few times like you just did. I am still grateful to this day that they were able to do that.

I am happy to hear your dil appreciates you too. I don’t understand parents who would not step in during hard times.

calumetteach

How sweet. What help you’ve been for them. I hope that you have a wonderful night’s sleep!

I am sorry your son and his wife are working such long hours. I think they are angels. As in other people touching jobs they are so overworked. I hope they realize that they are truly appreciated.

Advertisement

MarieTherese

You are awesome! I would love to have you as my MIL. Think of how much she trusts you to have you in her home like that! I would never be able to do that with my mother in law. You are a gem! <!--confetti--> <!--shootingstars-->

hand

They are so lucky to have you! You are a wonderful Grammie! There is no better time than the time spent with my grandkids, exhausting, but I love every minute.

jml122

My parents just did a very similar thing for me. We live about 10 minutes apart and they took my DD overnight so I could get a full night's sleep. They also took all of my laundry. Best of all, my dad made me homemade soup, which is by far the best medicine!

Crazy3

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, Been married 43 years so our young
GK's are a true blessing. DIL asked how I
know how to always do the right thing. I told her today I have a mental notebook from my miserable MIL on how not to act. I never would do to her what I experienced. Unlike my parents who made me feel cherished and were always there for me and the kids. . My son just said my poor mom put up with passive aggressive for years. I hated it. I never thought he noticed.

Advertisement