• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Eyes

calumetteach

Be sure to get your yearly eye checks. I was diagnosed with glaucoma and have some vision loss. It’s just like you should go for your yearly physical. Be sure you keep up on it. No scary stories please I am worried enough. I’m just putting this out there to help other people.

Advertisement

Tori58

I don't have a choice, really - diabetics have to have a yearly retinal scan and my opthamologist always checks for glaucoma and cataracts and so forth as well. No scary stories from me. I've had a number of relatives who were diagnosed with glaucoma and there are a number of treatments available to deal with it.

ZipLine

My youngest brother was recently diagnosed with glaucoma. He chose to have some surgery done instead of doing daily drops.

calumetteach

Thank you. I am pretty scared. I have had nerve damage resulting in vision loss. It’s close to my center of vision which is really concerning but it’s one eye. Also I was told if you have a parent who has/had glaucoma you are 10 times more at risk. Glad I have a week to process before telling my son at Thanksgiving. God bless my husband who is there for me.

Tori58

I'm very sorry to hear that you've already experienced nerve damage and vision loss. I do believe that, now that you've been diagnosed, there are many treatments available to slow the progression. Best of luck!

And yes, people should absolutely take this seriously and have their eyes checked annually, even if they don't need corrective lenses.

Beach Glass

Due to high index prescription, astigmatisms, and a family history of macular degeneration along with retinal detachment, I am faithful in my yearly eye appointments.

I will chime in with previous posters who stated that there have been great advances in the treatment of eye issues.

Advertisement