• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Favorite packing cubes?

KC14

I finally bought packing cubes for our trip this past summer. I couldn't imagine them helping without adding weight, but I love how they allowed me to separate certain things and made it all easier to find. I want to buy some for gifts this year and wondered if anyone has any really favorite ones? Mine are definitely good but nothing special so looking for recommendations. Thanks!

Advertisement

teachnkids

Oh! This is a good idea to add to DD’s Christmas gifts! She’s been traveling a lot with her job! Thanks for the idea!

I want a believer in them until I tried them! I was hooked! I got lazy and wasn’t using them, but went back. I really feel like I fit more stuff and it doesn’t get quite as wrinkled!

Sorry I don’t have any brands to recommend!

Ima Teacher

I have two different sets. One is a small set I got from Kohl’s. The other is a bigger set I got from Amazon. Honestly there isn’t much difference between the sets. I do prefer the ones with some mesh to allow for air circulation, and my bigger set comes with a shoe bag that holds two to three pairs of shoes. I was also able to buy another shoe bag that matched, and it has two separate compartments. I bought DH a set as well. We decided to travel more during retirement, so we got new luggage and the packing cubes.

Irish

I actually use various size zip lock bags. My DH traveled for work so that’s what he used for over 30 years. We actually use a heavy book and lay on the bags to get the air out. Amazingly the clothes come out not wrinkled even though the bags are wrinkly. I think the cubes are less primitive.

KetchupChips

We used ziplock bags, too. One year I decided to buy packing cubes, a different color for each family member. Love them! They are much easier to use, don't slide around, and pack really well into a suitcase. When you reach your destination, you can just keep everything in the cubes and plop them in dresser drawers. I bought ours at REI but I don't think it matters that much. They'll make a great gift!

Advertisement

Garden Gal

We got these for camping and now use them whenever we travel. We got one color for me and one for DH. This was great when we flew we each put half our clothes in each suitcase so that if one suitcase was delayed we both had clothes. The color coding made it easy to reorganize at our destination. They are from Amazon and have held up well for a couple of years including a 6 week and 3 week camping trip.

calumetteach

lacey2

I actually use various size zip lock bags. My DH traveled for work so that’s what he used for over 30 years. We actually use a heavy book and lay on the bags to get the air out. Amazingly the clothes come out not wrinkled even though the bags are wrinkly. I think the cubes are less primitive.
We used to use the cubes and I love them. However, we had a "bedbug scare" at one of the hotels we stayed at about a year ago. I was bitten all over, and even though we didn't seem to bring any home with us (thank God!) we had to go through the whole protocol of cleaning, using heat, steaming the car, etc. with all of our stuff to make sure any that might have "traveled" with us were killed. So from then on, we put our clothes in airtight Ziplock bags instead of the cubes with mesh.

Teach 5

I got different colored packing cubes for my husband and me also. I love the laundry bag. We bring it when we just do overnights places. I love having things organized. I got the ones below for my son and he uses them all the time.

6 Set of Various Colored Packing Cubes in 4 Sizes (Extra Large, Large, Medium, Small), Veken Packing Cubes for Travel Accessories Travel Essentials, Luggage Organizer Bags for Carry on Suitcases https://a.co/d/2WpeTQr
Calumetteach, I’d love to see these. Can you fix the link? Thanks!

KC14

Thank you! I love all of them! I do agree that ziploc bags can be good since they seal but I like the idea of the ones with a mesh side for now. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I am guessing they all compress if they are not completely full. The Gonex ones look very durable but at 4 lbs, I think it is more durable than I am looking for. I love the idea of the ones with the laundry bag too. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Advertisement