• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

First Grade Get-Together!

Editor

Staff
Hi First Grade teachers! <!--apple-->

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other First Grade teachers right here on the First Grade Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching First Grade? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Advertisement

URMySunshine

Teaching first grade

Although I have been teaching over thirty years, this is only my third year in first grade. What I love most about teaching this grade is the level of growth and confidence I see in my students by the end of the year.

Heart-n-ABCs

First grade

<!--teachersbell-->This is my first year teaching first grade. I love this age group because they are eager to learn, curious, fun, and have tremendous growth this year. It is an honor to teach this grade.<!--schoolbus-->

jennifirstgra

1st Grade ROCKS!!

Teaching First Grade is special to me because EVERY DAY I see growth! From the beginning of the year to the end, there is MONUMENTAL growth in all of my students (every year)!! I have something special called "Magic Squiggle Art" which is a writing prompt. I try to have them do one or 2 a month, where all students get the same random squiggle on a piece of picture/writing paper. They need to turn the squiggle into something and then they need to write about it. I keep all of these and at the end of the school year, I bind them together for each child so that they have a record of their amazing growth from beginning to end! It is truly a work of art and a very impressive collection of writing from each child. Hope you all have an amazing year!!:s):s)

Advertisement

praktcentechr

First grade

is where my heart is. I've been teaching for 20 + years. I love teaching first because of the excitement in learning. This year I'm trying to build more content - TEACHING WITH A BIG FOCUS ON SCIENCE. I'm feeling renewed!

OD

They are sponges! The learning that goes on in first grade is amazing!! Plus, they make me giggle all the time!

K

Karin Serban

First Grade

First grade is so much fun because of the progress that they make is huge. By the end of the year, everybody is reading, writing, and has a basic number sense. There is never a boring moment in first grade!

liberty teach

First grade

Students at this age are still vert eager to please their teacher. They have an interest in learning, and they show the greatest growth over a year's time.

sandyone

First Grade is the Best

As a many posters noted, it is a year of incredible growth. I take pictures throughout the year and when you look at the physical changes between September and June, it is pretty amazing. First graders are eager to please you and still have that innocence. It is an exhausting grade to teach but I wouldn't want to teach any other grade. I smile and laugh every day. <!--giggle-->

irises

Ah...first grade

This is my 11th year teaching first and there is no other grade like it. It is the year they learn to read and nothing is more important than that. They also learn to write sentences and paragraphs after coming in as kinders and only writing "inventively." The grade level is the hardest to teach but you reap the greatest rewards! Love first grade!

ily

After several years teaching K, I have spent the last 3 years teaching first grade. I love the eagerness, sincerity, energy and gulliability of this age group! There is nothing more rewarding then watching their progress throughout the year, their growth and maturity in grade one is amazing!

multigrade

While homeschooling 16 yrs, I realized I really preferred academics when DC were smaller.
I wasn't a good reader and love helping kids learn this important skill. I was in a 1/2 class for 4 yrs and this is my 3rd year with just 1st.

talon30

First Grade

I've taught 1st grade for 20+ years. It is still rewarding watching them grow tremendously throughout the year. Most of them still love school and want to please their teacher!!

Classyfirstgr

Glad to be here!

I just noticed this email to join. I have been teaching for a long time. I moved from K to 1st grade four years ago and this year I am teaching two first grade classes that come to me for one half day each group. The other half of the day they are immersed in Portuguese getting math instruction. So I make sure they understand it in English and teach the Language Art component. I love Go Noodle for all those of you who do not have this--Check it out you will love it and it is free! I just learned about Project Approach and ordered the books to learn more. If any of you know about this I would love to hear from you. I absolutely love first graders. I hope I can keep up with two groups this year. It does take a lot of energy and it keeps me hoppin', so this is where I plan to stay if I can keep up!

StoneSoup

Love First Grade

I love first graders. They are so eager to learn and they get so excited when you introduce new learning. It is exciting to watch the growth. They come in as little ones and exit as young learners. I love watching their faces when the finally "get it" and the pride they feel in their successes. With a few exceptions, they love to come to school and think their teacher is the best teacher in the world.<!--giggle-->