• Welcome teachers! Log in or Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

getting admitted to methods/student teaching

L

Lacey

I am so scared that I will not get admitted to the field based/methods classes in the fall. Currently I am taking Math for Teachers I. I will be taking Math for Teachers II in the summer, which is my last requirement to get admitted. Even though I will be done with all requirements in the summer there is a good chance I won't be able to do the methods semester in the fall. It takes 6-8 weeks to get admitted, and since grades won't be posted until August I can't even apply until then. Then it will be too late to get all the paperwork done by the time school starts. I am so upset by this. I will most likely have to take a semester off because I will have no more classes to take. So I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably sub a semester, and then start methods next spring. This holds me back a whole semester. I'm already 28, and this just makes graduating college take even longer.

Advertisement
K

K_Ryan

Take a deep breath

...and go talk to someone - a faculty advisor, for example. You could be "conditionally" admitted into the other course until your grades are posted. Universities have been known to make exceptions for the right reasons. (I managed to take the last semester of my B.Sc. at a different university, transferring back the credits, even though that was strictly against the rules of the university granting my degree.)

Worst case scenario, you have a plan in place to make good use of the extra time - and 28 is not that old. :)

Mrs. Jeri

its going to be ok...

I know where you are coming from. It is a little scary when you are cutting it that close. Talk to your advisor, I'll bet there are other people in the same boat as you. It happens all the time here at my school and my advisor held open classes for people waiting on paper work.
28 is not too old to be graduating. I am 44 and just now finishing my degree.
good luck.

Z

zees

forced vacation

Do not be disheartened. You have acheived all your requirements, be happy and take this time off as an unplanned vacation that does't happen too often. Make preparation for the time when you do go back and I am sure you will enjoy it even more than if you were doing it right now. Everything happens for a reason and this this probably is one of them. Do not make age a priority the older you get the more wiser you get and if you want to just get your hands wet for the summer than do that and sub, it is going to be a positive experience.

Advertisement