• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Getting better

Other 

Loveandmercy

Hi All,
I am injured and off work. My class has been in the hands of subs and other teachers covering for me since the first day of school. I tried to do a half day, but I am not strong enough yet. My class is very sweet but very needy. They don't yet have a consistent plan or procedure for how to do things in a classroom, so it was somewhat chaotic. I know people are doing the best that they can, but it was hard.

I feel so sorry that I can't be there for them right now, but I don't think my recovery will be going on too much longer.

Question: can anyone think of any games or activities for third graders that would help us all transition back to regular class? In other words, I struggled instruction in front of board. It would be so much better if I had centers, or a bit of instruction, but then some educational games or high interest activities. I want so much to return, but it felt like they were all bombarding me when I tried the other day for part of the day. I just want to get well and get back to work. God willing it will not be too much longer. Thank you all very much.

Advertisement

Risa

You're in a tough situation! I would suggest starting as if you are beginning a new school year with them. Start with your rules and procedures to get them all refocused on how to do things in YOUR classroom.

Take a look through 'Collections' which is a compilation of ideas created by PT members many years ago, but still very useful, today! It was recently transferred to this new site. It is jam-packed with education related suggestions for a wide range of topics. Browse through them and see if there's anything there that might help. Good luck with your return!

Collections (Teaching ideas)

WordFountain

Hope your recovery is speedy šŸ˜ƒ Here are a few ideas that worked for me in the past.

I agree with the PP, starting with rules and routines will make everything much smoother. In regards to Centers practice your expectations : volume, clean-up, transition to each center. In the beginning of the year my centers are very simple : puzzles (Dollar store 50 piece ones), read to self, journal writing (free write or answer a prompt), a play-doh center, simple art collage, etc. I use them more for the actual practice of the routine of centers instead of the content.

I believe in the ā€œwork smarter, not harderā€ idea. I found a variety of Choice Boards from TPT (inexpensive). My ELA centers were the same each week but the actual learning content changed:

1. Word Work: Weekly Vocab. I used menus. The students could choose a new activity each day. Rainbow write, Use in a sentence, Write a silly story using 5 words, etc.

2. Comprehension: Using the weekly reader answer text specific questions

3. Read to Self: They could log into the chrome book and read the weekly story. If they had tech trouble and their neighbor couldnā€™t help they knew to get the hard copy book.

4. Guided Reading: meet with me.

Summerwillcom

You're in a tough situation! I would suggest starting as if you are beginning a new school year with them. Start with your rules and procedures to get them all refocused on how to do things in YOUR classroom.
I am so sorry you are injured and hope you recoup soon. I was thinking the same as Risa.
Maybe have the kids discuss the need for some rules and make class rules with your guidance. You could make a fun art activity out of it.
You will need time to teach/ practice procedures and expectations since yours will be much different than the subs.
You could do getting to know you type of activities to practice expected voice levels, listening skills, following directions, and other expectations. Best wishes with your recovery!

Fenwick

Hi All,
I am injured and off work. My class has been in the hands of subs and other teachers covering for me since the first day of school. I tried to do a half day, but I am not strong enough yet. My class is very sweet but very needy. They don't yet have a consistent plan or procedure for how to do things in a classroom, so it was somewhat chaotic. I know people are doing the best that they can, but it was hard.

I feel so sorry that I can't be there for them right now, but I don't think my recovery will be going on too much longer.

Question: can anyone think of any games or activities for third graders that would help us all transition back to regular class? In other words, I struggled instruction in front of board. It would be so much better if I had centers, or a bit of instruction, but then some educational games or high interest activities. I want so much to return, but it felt like they were all bombarding me when I tried the other day for part of the day. I just want to get well and get back to work. God willing it will not be too much longer. Thank you all very much.
Like your idea of limiting teacher input while increasing student output. Too much blah-blah-blah can make students comatose. Some teachers stand at the door and greet each student as they enter, hand each a card (4x6) with seat # and team letter on it and tell each to find seat and follow directions written on the board (in advance). On the board write Scavenger Hunt - Find Someone Who (Signature please) ā€¦ 1) is wearing red 2) has a #2 pencil 3) can do a pushup 4) knows the capitol of your state 5) is wearing glasses etc. ā€¦ (or print Hunt and give to students as they enter). Idea is to get students up and running as they enter while, at the same time, teaching your fist procedure - entering the room - by your actions not your words.

Advertisement