• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Glue Bottles

Other 

Sbkangas5

I tried something new with glue bottles today (stolen from somewhere online ;)). After talking about glue and why/how we use it, I gave the kids a glue bottle and a container and let them squeeze as much out as they wanted. They practiced squeezing hard and soft, making a lot come out and just little drops. I think that getting to experience the glue without the added pressure of a project was really good for them! When we were done I just poured the glue back in the bottles.

Since I've moved down to TK and have stepped way way back in terms of expectations, I'm realizing just how much we expect of our kinders, even in the beginning, and how much more successful everything is when those expectations are let go.

Advertisement

iteachk2010

What a good idea! Thanks for sharing. I agree that we expect a lot from our K students at the beginning of the year. We, teachers, are used to using glue that sometimes it is easy to forget that some children just don't have the fine motor skills at the beginning or haven't had opportunities to use glue. Your students are so fortunate that you are giving them the experience. A+ for giving them the chance to explore the wonders of glue!

kahluablast

Thanks for the reminder that going slow and exploring is okay! I teach tech and for the last 2 years my struggle has been teaching K enough as quickly as possible that they could survive another learn from home situation just in case. This year I don't feel that pressure, and I need to remember that is okay to allow them to play as we go. I am not pushing as hard to get them competent. Satisfied with logging in! <!--giggle-->

Keltikmom

When I taught kinder, I bought a package of styrofoam meat trays from Smart and Final. Then used a sharpie to draw a circle the size of a half dollar in the middle. They could squeeze glue into the circle and no more.

Also bought glue paddles. At the end of the day, I left the trays out to dry and left the glue paddles in a container of water.

One other hack I learned, possibly here. If you use glue bottles with the twist top, don’t close them right after use. The glue dries onto the orange top. By letting them sit opened over night, all the glue drips back into the bottle and the tip doesn’t get clogged.

Sbkangas5

One other hack I learned, possibly here. If you use glue bottles with the twist top, don’t close them right after use. The glue dries onto the orange top. By letting them sit opened over night, all the glue drips back into the bottle and the tip doesn’t get clogged.
I have not heard of that and yet it makes so much sense! Definitely going to try it when I don't have to worry about the bottles staying upright.

Advertisement