• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Good idea or too much?

Ima Teacher

One of my friends has split from her husband of 30+ years. Seems like she was 19 when they got married. They have two grown children who live in other states. She’s found a place to live, and she and her husband are still on amicable terms. They’re in the process of taking care of everything they can prior to seeing a lawyer.

She came to see me yesterday, and we talked through a lot of stuff. I’ve been through the divorce thing, so I was able to answer some questions for her. She really just needed a listening ear, and I’m pretty good at that. I also told her that we needed to get together and go out for supper or just talk.

She went from living at home to living with me in college to living with another roommate to living with a husband. This is her first time adulting by herself. I’m thinking of sending her flowers with a “you got this” message. Good idea? Too much? Any other ideas? We live over an hour apart.

Advertisement

MathWA

I think sending a small bouquet would be a very thoughtful gesture. She is lucky to have you as a friend. Nice!

Starr

If you are good friends and you've been a supportive ear to her through this, I think it's a nice gesture that she will appreciate. I don't think it's too much at all.

I have a friend who is sort of in the same boat. She got married straight out of college, over 20 years ago, and is starting the process of getting divorced. She's also never lived on her own, so this is a huge change for her in many ways. I think it was fear of the unknown and being on her own that kept her there so long (she doesn't have kids) but now that her mind is made up, she's confident and happy it's the right decision.

amiga13

I think your idea is lovely and I hope you do it.

Like your friend, I had never lived alone until my husband passed away. Like you, my friends were encouraging. I really love your message to her.

ChrisL77

I think it is a great idea. I’m sure she appreciates the support. And sometimes all you want is someone to tell you it will be ok.
You are a wonderful friend.

Advertisement

1956BD

Lovely Idea

Divorce is difficult for most people. I am sure you kind gesture would be appreciated and enjoyed.

Ima Teacher

Okay. Flowers acquired. Yellow always feels like a cheerful color.

They’ll be delivered Tuesday.

Thanks for pushing me through second guessing myself.

• 12DF3430-6E65-4089-AE54-BBDAEF71DE18.jpeg
    39.6 KB

Sbkangas5

She will be thrilled to get them - great idea! I'm going to keep that in mind as I am the listening ear right now for a friend in a similar situation.

illinoisteach

glad you did!

I was in a similar boat after a long marriage a little over a year ago. That would have been a very welcome gesture <!--lovestruck-->. Glad you went ahead and did it!

SusanTeach

I love it. That's very kind and thoughtful.

And daisies are my favorite ...... "Don't you think daisies are just the friendliest flowers?" (line from You've Got Mail). :)

Advertisement