• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Google Maps-Repeat spoken direction?

Risa

I’ve been online trying to find a way to get Google Maps to repeat a spoken direction while I’m driving. I seem to recall that I was able to do so a few years ago, but maybe that’s my wishful thinking.

I found a web page that says to go to settings and look for ‘Navigation’ but I don’t see that option listed.
Any other suggestions?
I’m on an iPhone 11 with the most recent update iOS 16.1.1

Advertisement

Keltikmom

Don’t know,but I find the Ways app constantly tells me what to do…a mile ahead, a heals mile ahead, a thousand feet ahead, the next exit.

cvt

I looked up "Google Maps Navigation repeat directions," and you are not the only one who has noticed that it is no longer an option. Many people contacted Google Maps Help for this same issue but Google never replied. Instead, they "locked" the question and disabled further replying. Maybe they told their engineers to start adding the feature back in.

Someone on Google Maps Help posted this solution before more replies were disabled:

Hey all, the best solution I've found is to talking to the phone. Phrases that have worked for me include:

- Ok Google, what's next?
- Ok Google, next step?
Etc

If the maps apps is full screen, I dont need to say Ok Google. I've found this works with pressing the speaker icon in the top right, but it should work without pressing it too. So I guess Googles logic was "why even remove your hand from the wheel, just speak." I hope this helps but I too miss the old feature.

Risa

I looked up "Google Maps Navigation repeat directions," and you are not the only one who has noticed that it is no longer an option.
<!--heartflower-->I really appreciate the time you took to do some research on my behalf. When it first occurred to me, I thought it would be an obvious answer and that it was just something I had been overlooking. In my own search I, too, found that lots have been asking the same question I've had.

I'll have to try the suggestion you found, but it's hard to believe there's not a place on the phone screen to tap in order to have it repeat something, especially since many people drive with others in the car who may be talking when the direction is spoken.

Advertisement