• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

halloween/fall similes board title?

karrie

I am doing a halloween/fall similes bulletin board, but I need help. I was planning on having them come up with some halloween/fall related similes and then illustrate it.
Examples:
The night was as dark as a bat's wing.
The pumpkin glowed like a sunset.
Can any of you think of a catchy title? Also how can I decorate the board

-Karrie

Advertisement

mgf91280

I have a Halloween simile worksheet that's titled "Sinister Similes". If that's too intense of a title, you could also do "Scary Similes" or "Spooky Similes". I can't wait to start doing Halloween/Fall activities!

karrie

mgf,
Do you have a copy of that worksheet that you can attach or email to me? I would love to see it for some extra examples.
Thanks for the ideas

J

jlwbsu

How about "Spun up in Similes" You could do a big spider web.

mgf91280

Karrie

Hi! I've got the worksheet at school. I'll bring it home tomorrow and post the similes here. I don't have a scanner (and the worksheet is not on my computer), so you can just copy and paste the similes into a word document.

Advertisement

Barb/Ohio

Halloween Similes

I do something similar with my third graders for Halloween. We compare Halloween to something else that is fun. Then as part of the illustration the students draw themselves in Halloween costumes.

Example:
Halloween is as much fun as a birthday party.
The illustration would be of a birthday party with the child in a Halloween costume.

Barb/Ohio

K

K Perkins

I was looking for a bulletin board idea too, and I like yours. I was thinking of titling mine:
"Scaring up some Spooky Similes!"
"Spooky Similes"
"Scary Similes"

Also thought I'd find some halloween patterns and put a text box in the center so the kids could type their similes (our principal doesn't like handwritten stuff too much), then print the on cardstock and cut the out.

Thanks again for the idea!

mgf91280

Sinister Similes

I'm sorry it took me so long to get this posted. I kept forgetting to dig through my Halloween resources.

Underline the simile in each sentence:

The old woman's eyes were as black as night.
The cold October wind howled like an animal in pain.
A twig snapped underfoot, and I jumped like a nervous cat.
The deserted house smelled as moldy as an old, damp towel.
Her hands were as knotted as old tree roots.
The tree tapping the window sounded like a ghost knocking at the door.
Dusk fell like a black velvet curtain.

K

Kim sanford

Sinister Similes

I would love to have a copy of the sinister similes activity.

T

ToCoolForYou

I am also doing something with similes. I am giving them a worksheet of 6 pictures of Halloween things and asking them to write a simile for each one. I am then picking the best ones. hope this helps!

Advertisement