• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Harcourt & Another sight words question

URMySunshine

Our district uses Harcourt Trophies as our reading series. I am knew to my district's kindergarten program. We have been in school since August 20th. So far 5 sight words have been introduced with only 9 by Christmas. I had planned on using the Dolch sight word list and going out on my own but wanted to see what you all are doing. How do you manage sight words and at what pace? I know the teacher's guide is just that, a guide, but I don't want to overwhelm my students and parents either. Many of my kids came not knowing many letters or sounds. Most of them are picking things up quickly, but if I left it to the guide I don't think they will be anywhere near where they need to be by the time of testing in December. The reading series doesn't finish the letters until the end of the year. Anyone else using this series? What do you do?

Advertisement

judy

sight vocabulary

We too use the Harcourt Trophies and I am totally amazed at the small amount of effort that is taken with High Frequency vocabulary. I know because we are a Reading First School, Harcourt is required. What is amazing to me is that Reading first also requires us to teach at least 3 new words per week. It just doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I do 3 words per week. I also add my own phonemic awareness component for letter and sound recognition.....using OG. I also have a problem with the pace of the series. It is fine to revisit text, but three or four weeks on the same book....I have to do Harcourt and I do, but I also add my own spin on just about everything. :rolleyes:

URMySunshine

I am so glad to hear your comment about the amount of time spent on the same books. I have been revisiting the books the series requires but also am trying to do some things on my own. I work at a small, rural Title 1 school and am afraid that 3 words per week will be too difficult for my students. I have a few that are still struggling with the few sight words introduced so far with Harcourt. Many of them still don't know many letters and sounds so I have been spending a lot of time working on those in small groups. I have at least two that will still give me numbers for letters and vice versa. I just don't think they are developmentally ready, but I do want the others to be able to move along without being overwhelmed.

judy

URmysunshine

We have an inner city population with many non english speakers. Of course I have several children that are just not ready for the vocabulary. However, I do do a few things you might be interested in. My parents always seem to really support the WORDS for some reason. Each child has a keyring with all the words as they are covered placed on them. Lakeshore has premade sight vocab. with the rings already prepared. You can also use index cards and write your words and then laminate and punch a hole and place on the ring. These rings are placed in the chairbag and the children bring them home to study each night. On Fridays we have a SPELLING test of sorts. I pick 3 words from the ring and they write them. My parents really work with the kids toward the spelling test. I also use all the words within the text of my Message Plus each morning. One of my literacy stations is always based on the HF words. :)

URMySunshine

I had been thinking about putting them on a ring of sorts. They have a daily folder and I had thought about attaching them with a ring to the corner of the folder. I'm afraid that some of my students will lose them otherwise. What kind of activities do you do in your literacy centers with the words?

dot2353

Sight Words

We don't even try sight words until after we have introduced all the sounds. Then what I have been doing is going to Wally World and purchasing those tags like are used for name tags at business conferences that clip on................ I take four of the sight words a week and print out on card stock each word 4 or 5 times each depending on the size of the class. Then each day of the week I switch them so all the kids wear each word at least once that week. The whole school knows we do this so other teachers, when they see my kids in the halls, ask them what their word is. I also during the day will ask at different times what their word is, and will ask at dismissal when I take them off the students before they go home. I have the words on 4 X 6 index cards laminated, on a ring and I have the words on a tape. See it, say it, spell it, in my own voice for them to take to their desk as a center for practice.

judy

Activities

I do a poetry center in which they have to add the correct HF word. I do a lot of the activities in Words our Way. I do cut up words, word puzzles,treasure hunts....you name it.

Advertisement