• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Has anyone seen kids writing words backwards?

J

jezziesmom

mirror image writing

I started this as something to amuse me when I was bored in school as a child. I am smart and creative and I must of been a printer in a former life, or it is a naturat trait for a left hander. Encouraging the child to indeed write ALL his letters backwards...maybe will flip a switch in his brain to correct his problem of just doing one letter or number here and there. I developed the abilty to FOCUS when I would practice this art of writing mirror image backwards. It is fun, It fills the dull boring moments waiting for the doctor to call my name or gotta sit still while the preacher is talking...

K

Kit

In response to..

This is a bit late but I just came across this. Have you had your child tested for Turrets? These really sound like tics.

A

Aslam

Child Writing backwards

Hi shari my daughter who just went in first grade recetly had a problem which I just discovered about inverted writing I told her this morning to write Apt 3b 8 times and all 8 times b was writen correctly but 3 was writen inverted,also what i observed that yesteday when she was dancing on this song "hoe down throw down" which she learnt by watching it on youtube like 2 months ago and yesterday when she was doing it herself and i was watching her at the same time looking at the screen... she was using the other half of her body.... like if they threw their left arm out she would throw her right arm, they moved their right leg, she would move her left... like all opposite....

Should be concerned about this or just keep teaching her to do it correctly every time she writes backwards.Please reply to John5983@allstate.com.I apprecite it.

A

Aslam

Inverted Writing

Hello I'm having the same Issue with my 6 yr old daughter and I'm really concerned about it,she is a brilliant kid but this inverted writing is driving me nuts she is also dancing the other way when she watches some dance on the TV,was someone able to help you or were you able to Fix this with your child.Please repl to john5983@allstate.com I really apprecite your help.

R

Rhiannon

You're prejudice injures your children

1. "weak directionality"
2. "This child may have Dyslexia or some type of processing problem."
3. "but with these problems I'm afraid he willl never reawhatever issues he is dealing withch his full potential."

1. The first comment is ironic, children are naturally ambidextrous; they haven't had "directionality" imposed/forced on them. Their teachers and parents are the one's who are shortsighted because they have only one perspective; the children are fighting to maintain two.

2. In a world where left-directed writing would be the norm, it is right-directed writers and readers who would be considered dyslexic.

3. If you destroy half of a child's use of his brain and body, you naturally take away his full potential.

B

Bugwayji

Kids writing backwards...YAH

I thought this would be common knowledge by now. I met a lady who wrote beautiful handwriting, but you have to hold the writing up to the mirror. She had a terrible time in school, since this was 'back in the day', she was highly intelligent, just wrote backwards.
NOW, this is the funny part people, she was a member of MENSA, and so am I, and I have partial dyslexia. It is so sad, that this is still not fully understood and missed in the 'group' mentality teaching.

B

Bugwayji

it's o.k.

Read my post here. Dyslexia does not mean messed up. They used to tie left-handed peoples hands behind their back, so they would write 'normal'. Please, please understand that just like people think MENSA members are all scientist, teachers, this is not true. It's a bigger world than the 'school' yard mentality teaches.

B

Barbara16

Writing backwards

I actually write backwards for fun sometimes. It confuses people, but they get a good laugh out of it. I do not have dyslexia or anything.

O

ot4you

ot

Sounds like your child may benefit from services offered by an occupational therapist. you could also look up sensory integration disorder

P

paschar

children writing backwards

I would advise the parents of the child to have the child tested for a form of dyslexia known as strephosymbolia, this is no joke, I have students on the web who have the same visual disorder because all text appears backwards to them thus by fliping the text to the mirror image it appears normal to them.

A

airdog

Problems Vs Potential

As a mom... reading your email just about breaks my heart.

I have been where you are and I hope what I share with you both encourages you and helps point you the right direction to re-examine the situation with some ??'s.

I am a mother of a son (whom is now 30 years old) with ADHD. The ADHD diagnosis was made in first grade. His educational experience was (sadly) a continued struggle of trying to find ways to help him succeed both academically and socially. And even though we did everything the professionals (doctors/psychologists) recommended (medication, diet modification, behavior modification, academic tutoring, bio-feedback therapy and counseling on an on-going basis), his school years were both difficult and frustrating times for him.

From MUCH personal experience... what I am CERTAIN of is that you MAY have a teacher problem! No offense... but not all teachers are equal.

If you have a teacher that is communicating to you that she is "fed up" with reversals (which is common in early child development) I have to question what the teacher is communicating to your son (??).

From 1st through 12th grades, my son had only 2 teachers that had the disposition/patience and compassion to work with a child that was challenged (academically and energy-wise). I found it very interesting that for these two teachers - my son not only cooperated, but flourished in their classroom! The RIGHT teacher makes all the difference in the world!!!

Furthermore, if a teacher relays to any child that they are "a failure" or "a problem" -- they will either do one or two things: 1. act out publicly (to save face -- which in my opinion what your son may be doing) or 2. comply (and silently suffer until they no longer believe in themselves).

My personal advise is to "have your son tested for ADHD" (as my son also struggled with sitting in class without disrupting, walking and standing in lines, keeping still, following rules, difficulty following directions, social codes and interaction/communication -- in essence he was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole... he was and is different from all the other kids. But let me stress that he is a wonderful child and that being different is OKAY!

Most ADHD kids are also a bit dyslexic. They are also just kids that learn differently... which also is okay and should be communicated as so.

Left-handedness has little to do with his behavior. I am personally left-handed and a mirror reader and mirror writer... which usually just points to great creativity and visual thinking.

Appreciate your son for the individual that he is... its okay that he's different from your other kids. Focus more on what he does well, encourage him -- learn to be his advocate (your the only one he has). He may never be an academic wiz kid... maybe he's your "creative" one -- which is great too.

But whatever you do... let him know that "you're there for him" and don't be afraid to dialog with his teacher about any concerns you have about her relationship with your son... again, remember an advocate works for the "BEST" outcome in a situation.

Deep breath, hug your boy a lot, talk to his teachers (as often and as long as needed), stay tuned in to the situation daily... encourage, encourage, encourage -- and he'll reach his potential.

Good luck.

Educamator

Writing Backwards

Oh, when I read writing backwards, I was thinking about a student I had who wrote his name backwards- in mirror image. And not for fun. That was just what his brain triggered him to do.

S

sunarsih

Backword writing

I do have same problem with my son, backword writing on word and numbers (sometimes). I would be much appreciate if anyone could give me some advise or opinion on this matter.

T

Teacherman90

First grade teacher

I have been working with PI (Print Inverted) students for the last two years and have had great success just letting them do what comes naturally. I have found that up to 25% of some of my classes ( 6 children out of 24) read and write MUCH better upside down than right-side-up. If forced to read and write the "normal way" they fail miserably.

BY FORCING THEM TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT NATURAL FOR THEM, I BELIEVE TEACHERS ARE ACTUALLY CREATING DYSLEXIC STUDENTS.

When these kids are allowed to hold their books upside down they read absolutely perfectly. They sound out words the same way "standard readers" do and actually do much better on Spelling Tests and story writing if allowed to write upside down from the bottom right to left. When you turn their papers over they look absolutely normal. In fact, they make no reversal mistakes and their papers are actually NEAT!

If allowed to do what comes naturally I've found that eventually they "flip it over" on their own and can soon do it either way.

I BELIEVE THAT THESE KIDS ARE GIFTED, AND IF THE TEACHER DOESN'T SCREW THEM UP BY FORCING THEM TO DO IT THE "NORMAL" WAY, THEY WILL EVENTUALLY FIGURE IT ALL OUT FOR THEMSELVES - AND BE EXCEPTIONAL STUDENTS IN THE END!

C

cid

letter reversals

My daughter is almost seven and she has autism spectrum disorder. She has lots of letter and number reversals, she also tends to start at the right side of the page and finish at the left.
It looks quite amazing to see a string of numbers written in a mirror image.

Ive been told that a special optometrist and occupational therapist can help with these things.

Its like being unable to see blue text on a red background etc, its all very indepth. the visual testing needs to be done.

C

cid

My daughter is almost seven and she has autism spectrum disorder. She has lots of letter and number reversals, she also tends to start at the right side of the page and finish at the left.
It looks quite amazing to see a string of numbers written in a mirror image.

Ive been told that a special optometrist and occupational therapist can help with these things.

Its like being unable to see blue text on a red background etc, its all very indepth. the visual testing needs to be done.

A

alazia

Its nice to see....

everyone's different answers, it really sets me at ease about my little one :).....

"....and drive on the wrong side on the road fairly often." HAHAHAHAHA I luv it. :) at least your aware that your doing it :).

2scout

To toir

I have to agree with snwbrd62's message. I have a child that has pdd. he was first diagnosed in the middle of the autism spectrum but now, doesn't meet all the requirements for it. He also has adhd and central auditory processing disorder. He wrote his name backwards often as a child. He still reverses his letters and I have suspected dyslexia all along, but could not get an answer from the school because they said it was too early to tell. I just noticed my daughter writing her name backwards yesterday, and thought that she may be dealing with dyslexia too. She is very smart, yet struggles sometimes with reading. She plays around alot when required to do any reading. I think it is because she is having trouble? Think she is also dealing with adhd and possible aspergers? Having her evaluated in a few days.

C

Charla

Dysgraphia?

My, almost 7 year old, daughter writes almost everything that she "sounds out" backwards- mirror imaged. She can even write the alphabet starting with "Z" and work her way to "A". I am a little concerned. Not worried, she can read, comprehend and does great in school. She is extremely creative and does well in her piano lessons. I'm not concerned with her ability to learn, however; she does need to learn how to write correctly in this society. Having family members with dyslexia that was my first thought but I recently heard of dysgraphia. Her teacher and myself are paying closer attention to her writing and she will be giving her spelling words send home to write as a type of homework assignment for practice. If she still is not able to write them easier the correct way, then I plan to have her tested. I am a musician and see things differently than my husband, I can use both my left and right hand well. My daughter is right handed- naturally. With all my kids I set their toys in front of them and let them show me which was natural for them, left or right handed.

cvt

backwards

Ha! When I was six and in first grade, I wrote backwards and upside down (mirror image). So a sentence like "I love my cat" would have been ".tac ym evol I." Except it was also upside down. I did have beautiful penmanship.

I was also left-handed. My teacher had seen writing like that before, and was not concerned. And of course, when I was in first grade, dyslexia was unheard of, at least where I grew up (I'm not dyslexic). By the end of the year I was writing the proper way. Never looked back. I can still read other people's papers upside down, though. :D

steelcitymom

cvt

I noticed that too. I think that maybe these are parents that were googling for info and ended up here.
I also noticed that the original post is from 4 1/2 years ago. There are posted from every year.

cvt

old posts

Steelcitymom, I hadn't even noticed that the OP was that old :). I need to pay closer attention!

A

Archive

Reply to lisa 570

There should not be a problem unless the child starts speaking backwards, then you may have to call an exorcist.

:)

M

millera

I think I know what he has

I teach a student that fits this description. He has been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. It causes them to have verbal and motor tics that they can't control. The student I teach clears his throat, sniffs his nose hard, is in constant motion (wiggles feet, etc.) and struggles with controlling his impulses. This student is also left-handed.

Their tics can change from month to month so it matches what you said about replacing one habit with another.

The doctor is wrong. Take your son to another doctor.