• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Have to submit lesson plans

Administrator Issue 

Haley23

I realize that I'm somewhat lucky in making it to year 13 before this was ever a requirement anywhere I worked. My P just sprung on us that it is a "district requirement" that we submit lesson plans for the week by 7:30 AM Monday mornings. There is a google folder we have to submit them in.

I am PEEVED. I actually do write fairly detailed plans; in my position my lessons are very structured and it just makes sense to do it that way. But, I'm not saying they make sense to anybody else. And, for probably 8-9 years now, I have planned only 1-2 days at a time. It works for me and it's better for my students.

I plan tomorrow's lessons based on how today went- maybe I need to go a little faster/slower than expected, I need to review something I didn't think I'd have to, my students are actually ready for me to make it more challenging right away, etc. Maybe there was an assembly/field trip/special event I wasn't told about in advance and the week is thrown off. This also ensures that I don't spend time doing work twice- I'm not planning and then "tweaking" the plans mid-week. I never leave the building without being ready to walk in and teach the next day.

I'm going to have to change my whole system! And spend more time on work, because in this system I will be doing work twice if I need to change plans. Or, decide it's not worth it to do the work twice and then my students suffer.

And these same admins will actually scratch their heads and wonder why people are leaving teaching. I posted (maybe in the FB group?) that my friend who works in another district is partially covering a 3rd grade classroom that they can't fill the position for. 3rd grade gen ed! You have a real problem on your hands when you can't fill a 3rd grade teaching position. I see NO EFFORT on anybody's part to actually try to solve this problem or make teachers actually want to stay.

Advertisement

WalkDontRun

This is ridiculous on so many levels. The way you lesson plan makes perfect sense for your position—I did much the same thing as a resource teacher. What will they do when every last teacher has walked out the door! I’m retired but this kind of stuff gets me fired up on behalf of those of you still teaching<!--grumpy-->

Keltikmom

Lesson plans

Here’s my take on this idiocy……send in whatever normal lessons plans you write. Do you really think anyone is going to actually read them? Someone just needs to check off a box on a list.

And if they actually comeback to you, tell them the truth as you just explained it.

When I was teaching we did DRA Assessements and had to send them to DO. There was often a question “ have you administered the word analysis assessment?”. We were never taught or trained in whatever this was. But you couldn’t move on in the “app” without answering the question. I would write ridiculous answers because I wanted the DO to know we were never trained in this.

I would write “never heard of this.” Or “what does this mean?” For 10 years. No one ever, ever, came back to me.

Last edited:

TAOEP

For most of my teaching career, we were not required to submit lesson plans. And then something changed, and we had to submit plans before school started on Mondays. I HATED doing them. The worst part was that I had to do plans for up to 15 or so different courses. (I was teaching in a special program that was quite individualized.)

Even when the course was computerized (Edgenuity), I still had to write lesson plans. Those were a total waste of time. The courses that I actually taught, there was a reason to plan.

About the only comment I ever got from my principal was a thank you--well done. I can't imagine that she read them weekly. Why would she?

Haley23

Here’s my take on this idiocy……send in whatever normal lessons plans you write. Do you ho early think anyone is going to actually read them? Someone just needs to check off a box on a list.

I'll definitely just do the format I do for myself, until told otherwise, but I'm still going to have to totally change what I do in order to have them uploaded for the week by 7:30 on Monday morning. They are checking that they're in there and complete- I'm sure you're right that they won't be read thoroughly, but my current planning 1-2 days in advance won't work when I have to have the entire week uploaded by Monday morning.

I also have 2 groups per day that are using this new dyslexia program I'm learning. It's HIGHLY scripted and all of the "planning" is done in the teacher's book- I have to go in and write in pencil certain closing activities, "board prep", etc. The idea is that once you reach "therapist" level, you can make adjustments as needed, but when you're still a "trainee," you learn and teach the program exactly as written.

I'm required to have that for the class I'm taking, so I have to do it that way. For certain lessons, I have to videotape myself and then submit a copy of my book notes. So right now, for those 2 groups, my planbook literally says- lesson 10, short o- see book notes. Now I will either have to try to get away with scanning all of the book pages every week and putting them in as the "lesson plan," or having to type things into my planbook that I'll never actually look at, as a compliance piece, and then use the book notes for the actual teaching.

Summerwillcom

The Great American Novel- LP's

At 1 school, the admin scanned them and made comments and asked questions.
At my last school, the only reason the P would read your LP's is if he wanted to give you a hard time.
I used 1 of my last template boxes each week to fill in all of the interruptions that kept us from completing the LP for documentation. Things like: fire drill, assembly, lock down drill, guest speaker, assembly, classroom cleared, early release, testing etc.
There was no way I could possibly do all that was scheduled for a day.
When I tried to do it correctly, I way over planned and wasted time.
So to save my sanity and time, I started a new approach. <!--giggle-->
I found it to be really simple to write what we completed each day online.
Every afternoon, I'd just type in what we had completed as if it was planned for that day the next week. It took maybe 5- 10 minutes.
Then Friday, I could just type in what we completed that day and submit.
I always had real plans scrawled in a notebook.
I figured if anyone ever asked, I could just say we were further along than expected. Also, at the end of 9 weeks, I had samples of the assignments.
I never had parents read lesson plans even though they could have. They did check grades. Anyways, that was a huge time saver for me.
If your admin is not the type to watch you carefully, the 2nd strategy worked for me. I probably did that for 10 years.
I always kept 2 weeks of emergency sub plans on hand too. That avoided having someone look online.

Last edited:
Advertisement

twinmom95

I am EXTREMELY glad my district never did this( though they had other idiotic things) as it was something I would have left over. Luckily I retired in June.

Like you, I never planned reading or math ( 4th grade) more than 3 days out for the same reasons you listed.. I wrote in pencil in my plan book. Even with 3 days, there were still arrows and crossed out things in my book.

My teammate for the last several years ALWAYS had 2-3 weeks planned out and then would be annoyed when all those little interruptions would get announced/ happen after her plans were done.;)

Sam5

I had to submit lesson plans my entire teaching career, 34 years. I too adjust to the kids so my plans were never accurate by Wednesday of each week.

I always just the minimum required on the plans I turned in. I didn’t personally really use them when teaching. I had my own system for that.

Fortunately, I don’t think I ever had a principal pay much attention to my turned in plans. They knew things ran smoothly in my classroom, kids learned and did decent on standardized tests, parents were mostly happy so they just left me alone.

cabernet

My last few years of teaching with new administration required us to have lesson plans with objectives and common core standards turned in by Monday morning. The administrative staff (superintendent) would choose a few plans to critique for Friday’s “How we need to improve our lesson planning.”

Violets2

I am mad for you :mad: Luckily we never had to do this. Would they accept just a generic plan? Meaning, Gr.1 phonics/word work 9:30-10:00, etc??? Just super general stuff or does it have to be specific?

anna

I'd be upset as well. So sorry Haley! I am guessing these orders came from the top because schools are getting flack for pandemic related learning loss. I love summerwillcome's idea. That is too clever<!--giggle-->. Are there plans online at TPT? I'd seriously buy them if I thought the princ was actually going to seriously read them. Most of my principals always told the teachers plans don't matter; I know you do them. I will ask for them privately if there's something to work on with you. They were considered educational leaders at one point. Now most are micro managing robots controlled by the district office.

NJ Teacher

A big waste of time…

When I retired, I would have to say not writing formal lesson plans was one of the things I loved most. Ours were actually collected only monthly, but we still had to be able to show them if an administrator wanted to see them. The time spent on them was hours of my life I will never get back. Even with copying and pasting, it was incredibly time consuming. I especially hated it when we were told to list standards from the Common Core for each lesson.

As a veteran teacher, it is a shame that you cannot decide what professionally works best for you and your students. And in many cases, I never felt my administration read those plans. One just initialed them.

Hawkeyegirl1

As needed

Could you upload your two days of plans, then for the other days just say some very simple like, "Will adapt lessons as needed"? Maybe give a few ideas for adaptations. I would keep it simple and see if they say anything to you.

Mrs. Beige

Lesson Plans

Continue planning as you have been, and upload last week's lesson plans for the current week. No one will ever know, you don't have to change what you have been doing, you are in compliance with the baloney.....everyone wins.

Teddi9192

Play the game

Write very generic plans. Only change the standards for the week. Your plan for your scripted class would be “follow script for ______ lesson”. Materials as described in manual.

Or turn in the past weeks plan. No one will ever check your teaching vs your plans.

WestCoastTch

Plans

I transferred to a very under-performing school in regards to state testing, and we've been assigned a representative from a state-approved company that is tasked with helping us crawl out of the red. In other words, we are under the microscope. Hard.

I've always written very detailed plans for some things, a bullet point or two for others. We've been required to submit plans for about the last 4 years. We are also required to plan together as a grade level, which has been worthwhile but it is time consuming.

I use chalk.com to write my plans. It is worth the subscription cost IMO. Parts of the program are a bit clunky, but I love being able to click on the standards and attach them automatically to my lessons. I have lesson templates I copy for the various subjects and just input the various TE and student text pages as needed, or upload links to videos and slideshows. I send my plans via a link to admin. I was doing almost the same thing in a simple Google slide, and I made templates as backgrounds and edited them. Since it is a "live" document (so is Chalk) you can update it whenever you want without redoing the entire thing. I know you prefer not to plan beyond 2 days, but a simple, generic weekly plan may be something you upload so you can have it turned in but you update it on your own timetable.

Ima Teacher

I had to submit lesson plans in some way every year since 1993. The form changed, the requirements changed, the method of submission changed, and submission time changed.

We called it the SSDF requirements. <!--giggle-->

Cat woman

I didn’t read everyone else’s responses so my apologies if this was already suggested. Write up a brief rough outline of your plans and then just proceed as normal. If you don’t get to things on your submitted plans during the week, just put them in again the next week. I was like you in that I planned and revised my plans as the week went by. I doubt that anyone is going to fact check your plans. And if they do I would suggest they may need to realign how the district spends it resources LLOL

School Time

When I started many years ago, we had to have three days of plans. They were generally only looked at when you were observed. Eventually, they became weekly. One principal made copies of the page when she was going to observe and dinged my because I wasn't on that page. In my mind, they are semi-nonfiction. Some things go in to fill in boxes and you know you won't do them. I would fall behind or be ahead, they weren't accurate. A few years ago we went to a district format which changed a few times. I like when they were due Monday morning. They were more accurate. The past few years they were due Thursday afternoons so teachers doing small group intervention could see them. This year, thankfully after I retired, there is a new format on the student management system. Middle and high school have used it for a few years. When I was on the tech team 10 years ago, we were asked if we wanted it and we said no. Now, it is mandatory and EVERYONE is complaining about how hard it is, even the tech savvy teachers.

The thing is the administration rarely looks at them. Last year, they were sent on google. I could see when someone opened them. Principal and curriculum director never did. I guess if they had concerns they would.

My suggestion--do them and don't worry if they are not accurate.

School Time

Some state requires a year in advance

There were teachers posting here last school year about a law requiring a year in advance. I could never do that!