• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Homework

kim1231

I am one of 8 kindergarten teachers in our building. For the first time ever, we are now full day kindergarten. Question. What are your thoughts on homework for 5 year olds? I seem to be the only one in my team who has not been assigning anything. Quite frankly, I am wondering if it is even worth it. Some teachers are just posting optional fun activities in their Google classroom. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Sbkangas5

I don't give homework. I don't think it's appropriate or necessary in K. Plus the kids that actually need the reinforcement are rarely the kids that actually do it. I think if you are feeling you need to give it, the optional fun activities are a good compromise. Things like play a game with your family, go outside and collect fall leaves, etc.

anna

It depends on the type of population I am teaching. Some students enter school years behind their peers and parents want their child to be as ready for first grade as everyone else. They will make sure the extra practice gets done.
Then there are classrooms where kids had prior preschool and some parents want challenge homework.
Then some teachers decide as grade level to have homework of some kind.I cooperated with what was decided. If extra practice was necessary I designed homework to be independent of adult assistance.
Tailoring homework to individual needs isn't impossible to do but should be well thought out. Being a team player with your grade level is important too.

ICrazyTeach

I have very strong feelings about homework in general and even stronger when it comes to kinder. No, no, no, no, no. None. Ever. The only exception is OPTIONAL family projects or simply sharing resources or fun enrichment ideas. I have sometimes sent "homework" that is actually just parenting advice--like have an actual conversation with your child and engage them in the daily work of a household. Research does not support homework and if anything, shows it may even have negative effects.

That said, I have been required to assign homework for most of my 23 years of teaching.

kim1231

Thanks everyone.

I have come to realize that about half my team has opted for no homework, while the others have opted for some optional activites. Makes me feel better after reading your opinions. I think I will stick with my original thought: no homework except for an occasional family project.

Advertisement