• Welcome teachers! Log in or Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Hooked on Phonics

SpecEdTeacher

I just started using this program last week with one of my students and he loves it. He has started to read already and I am proud of his progress. Has anyone used this program in their classrooms and what was the outcome?

Advertisement

Tounces

hooked

First of all, congrats on the progress! Hooked On Phonics was in trouble a few years back. Since then they changed it some. I'ts still not acceptable according to some state depeartments as a form of good teaching. I didn't use it, because it was never allowed in my school district for the reason stated above. So I'd probably make sure you are using it as something extra, along with the curriculum used regularly. It helps when kids like the program doesn't it?

SpecEdTeacher

Ok thanks! I really got the program because the students that I work with are also using Fundations but they aren't grasping it like they should. I decided to try HOP because I figured maybe it would reach them on a different level. Are there other programs like HOP that have better results, that I as a teacher can purchase on my own?

Tounces

programs

If you get a chance get training called Orton-Gillingham. It is a very effective hands-on, visual, auditory, kinesthetic method. It worked wonders when I used it last year. For example, 2 of my 5th grade non-readers began to read for the first time in their lives! They were as thrilled as I was. I got the training through my school district. They required all special ed. teachers to have it.

Shari

Primary Phonics

You can see samples of this at www.epsbooks.com or at http://orton-gillingham.com/ There are also free downloads for lesson plans at epsbooks. I have been using PP for 12 years for preschool-1st grade. The program is designed for K-4 students. It uses workbooks in tandem with reading books, which are also available on CD. I supplement this material with hands-on literacy (see www.montessorimaterials.org language). So far, I have not failed to teach a child how to read.

Games, maniupulatives, and giving students the chance to practice reading one-on-one are crucial.

Mini-phonics lesson: Be sure not to voice unvoiced consonant sounds, f, h, p, s. (The sounds are produced by forcing air over the lips, teeth, or tongue, not vibrating the voice box). Pure sounds, like one piano key at a time (single note)= do not put a vowel sound on the end of consosnants: r sounds like ir in bird, not ruh. E.g. ear = ee-ir, not ee-ruh. runs= ir-u-n-s, not ruh-uh-nuh-suh.

Last edited:
Advertisement