• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

how long do i wait...

B25newteacher

advice needed....i resigned from my first year of teaching from a school/district that was not the 'right fit' for me. The principal agreed the school was not a good fit for me either-but he was very supportive and understanding-I completed the year so I did not break any contract and full-filled all my responsibilities and now I have a year experience to show on my resume.
In June-when I was finalizing my paperwork with the principal-he said he wants to be sure this past year would be seen as a positive experience as I search for other positions or other districts..he said he would write me a letter of rec (without me asking). I was thrilled-this was in June-it's been over a month and no letter-I emailed him and very nicely said, " I know you are very busy and I am sorry to bother you-I was wondering if I can list you as a reference as I am planning to begin my job search-I know a letter of rec may take some time." He immediately responded, "of course you can list me as a reference and I am working on your letter too. " :)
That was over two weeks ago-and nothing-I know he is very busy but how do I apply for positions without his letter of rec? Also-my email account with the school has been deleted and now I don't know if I should email him from my home account so he has my home email...am I being pushy? I know he was sincere and will write me a letter but how long do I wait and how do I apply for other positions without this letter? I don't know what to do? Any advice? Thank you! :confused:

Advertisement

kahluablast

Here things are automated. YOu apply online and references are sent a link to fill out. I never saw any of my references, just got a notice that the request had been sent and completed. Do you have to have the letter in hand to apply?

I personally would apply without it. List him, but don't wait until all the jobs are gone! Maybe he is one of those people that just needs that little push to finish things.

Goodluck.

zxm123

I have been there

I asked my principal and I could tell it was a busy time for him(honestly, it's ALWAYS a busy time at school). He was going to be out on leave for a week. So I didn't push it and I waited about a week after his return to kindly remind him. A week later I smiled and kindly reminded him again. It took three friendly reminders and he finally gave me a beautifully written letter. It was so nice that I almost felt like I didn't deserve it. But it was worth the wait. I also spoke with his secretary and she was helpful in reminding him. That might also work.

cabrini6285

I would apply to jobs anyway. Don't you have any other letters you could submit maybe from professors if the application needs it. I would still list him and usually they don't even read the letters and call the person!

B25newteacher

thank u

thank you for the advice. I do have several letters from other districts-i guess i was thinking it's important to have one from each school/district...i will apply-and i will gently remind again too.
thank you---gosh-this is so stressful!! <!--giggle-->

Advertisement