• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

I feel like a first year teacher

Hifiman

Back in 2005 I started subbing and almost immediately I got a cold I could not shake and it turned in pneumonia. Diseased kids!

With the Covid lockdown and masking I've often thought when things go back to normal or at least normalish it would be like being a first year teacher again since our immunity would be compromised from all the precautions. I caught my first real cold and damn, it's been days. It has hit me hard.

And no, it can't be because I'm getting old. Mentally I'm still 12.

Advertisement

kahluablast

I am just waiting, but have been lucky so far. The number of young ones who are sniffing and sneezing is crazy! Going to be a rough winter.

Haley23

There is some awful virus that has been going around at my school. People are miserable for days on end. It's not covid- these people keep testing the entire time and it's always negative.

Thankfully, I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm sure my turn is coming. I've already had so many kids sneezing and coughing all over the place. After years of masks, it's unsettling, but I try to remember that this is what it was like before covid, and no, I wasn't sick all of the time.

When we first started hearing rumblings of covid in Feb. 2020, before things were locked down, I remember one of my non-teacher friends innocently saying, "But can't you just make sure that any child who has symptoms is sent home immediately?" LOL I told her that in the winter 90% of the kids would be sneezing, coughing, blowing noses constantly, etc.

I did get several sinus infections back to back last spring when masks finally came off. I'm sort of hoping I'm past that/back to normal now!

ICrazyTeach

last spring when masks finally came off

Oh, what a wonderful memory that was:( We're back in masks for as long as we're in the "red" for Covid. I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

But, I haven't been sick for a long time now. No one has sneezed on my eyeballs recently LOL

cabernet

I’ve got that wonderful cold/virus right now. I’ve had it since Thursday. I’m miserable. I’ve tested four times for Covid, all negative.

Advertisement

Keltikmom

New colds

I think you are right. With all the masking no germs got passed. Now it’s open season. During the entire pandemic, my doc told me he didn’t deal with a single case of “regular” flu or super nasty colds.

Get well soon.

mommy9298

I go back tomorrow and all covid protocols have been lifted. It’s only a matter of time before we all get colds. I’m taking extra vitamins, but I’m sure a cold will arrive. Feel better!

nucleus

I have the back to school cold right now. Feel like crud, but not enough to go to the doctor, YET.

Tiamat

We are just coming out of winter and yes, its been rough. Normal flu and colds are back with a vengeance, as well as the odd case of Covid still.

Haley23

Oh, what a wonderful memory that was We're back in masks for as long as we're in the "red" for Covid. I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

Oh, that's crazy to me! I didn't realize anywhere was still doing masks. I don't see us going back (huge knock on wood there)- people just wouldn't stand for it. They became optional for us last March- we were the last district in the area to finally lift the mandate. Last school year, there were teachers and students who continued to mask after the mandate was lifted. This year, we have one last teacher hold out who still wears his, and with students it's extremely sporadic here and there. To the point where I worry when a kid shows up in a mask that it's because they actively have covid, because they don't normally wear one <!--eyebrow-->.

I had to move classrooms this year and when I was packing up last spring, I finally threw away the giant pile of masks I had in my room- both for me and extras for students. I told my teammates; I hope I don't regret that!

I was just thinking how nice it was to actually be doing a "normal" beginning of the school year for the first time since 2020- no masks, no quarantines, no symptom/temperature checks, no increased cleaning/crazy amount of hand washing, etc. I can't believe there are places that are going into a FOURTH school year with this!

FancyFish

I’m just waiting for it. I’m covering a grade 2 class tomorrow so I’m sure they will do me in!

Advertisement