• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Insurance for retirees

calumetteach

Hello all,

I am wondering if your family versus single plan is much different in cost? I have a family plan right now and it is very expensive. My husband will be eligible for Medicare next year. We’re thinking he’ll go off my plan and then I’ll go to single instead of family which is significantly less. Or would he stay on mine and then it would be supplemental? Thanks for any direction and help you can give me.

Advertisement

twinmom95

I retired in June at 58. I always carried our insurance because it was very good ( no deductible). We have to pay the entire cost as retirees if we want to stay on it. A 2 person plan is double the single person plan ( $10k or $20k). We are now on my spouse's plan through work. Not as good as mine, but a LOT less!

Ima Teacher

Even as a married couple, we had single plans. Mine was the top tier single plan because I take a ton of meds. DH had a lower plan because he rarely uses the benefits, and he carried DSS on his plan until he got his own insurance through his job.

As retirees we kept our single plans. Teacher retirement subsidizes our plans, and it’s not much different than how much the school district covered for us. We are each more than 10 years away from Medicare age.

I would suggest running the numbers for all options. I saved almost $300 a month by purchasing my EX’s insurance from a private company instead of adding him to my school policy.

calumetteach

My monthly insurance for a family plan is $900 a month but there is no deductible. It just seems so much after talking to other friends who are teachers. My husband and son are both on it also and I’ve learned growing old can be expensive health wise. My husband will go on Medicare next year and my so. Has a job where he can get on their plan. I think this last negotiations Retirees really got the short end.

TAOEP

I just got the mailing from my school district. Spouses whose employer offers a plan (regular or retiree) are no longer eligible for coverage. I think this sort of regulation is getting to be more and more common.

marguerite2

There are lots of rules and exceptions regarding Medicare. I carried DH on my school policy when I worked and after I retired. When my DH turned 65 there was one rule for picking up part B if your spouse‘s insurance is from active work and another if you spouse Is retired and the insurance is what the company provides to retirees. I was retired and my retired insurance required that DH pick up plan B as Medicare was now his primary insurance and his insurance on my plan was supplemental. I suggest checking with your insurance regarding what they require.

If your DH has to pick up Medicare B, you can investigate the variety of supplement and Advantage plan available in your area. One of them might be a good and cheaper option (or not).

Advertisement

School Time

With Medicare, your husband may need a Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage plan. Basic Medicare is Parts A and B only. I have Medicare and Medicare Advantage through the state health benefits plan for retirees (I had enough years in and started so long ago. Newer teachers don't get that.) Medicare is $170 a month PLUS because of last year's income, an additional $170 per month. I get half of that back in my pension.

So I guess my point is that there is still some cost with Medicare.

TAOEP

What state is this?
We're in Illinois. I think the reason for the change is that districts and their insurance companies don't want to pay for anything they don't want to. For several years, my husband had double coverage for dental (as a retiree from his own employer and then as spouse on mine). His would pay first and then mine would pay remaining charges. Now he will only be covered by his own company.

calumetteach

Thank you everyone for your replies. Health insurance and all the options or lack of them is head spinning.

Last edited:

Linda/OH

Insurance is mind boggling. We met with someone who helped us figure out the best for us. It was less expensive for DH to have his own and I am on STRS (our state one). We're both on Medicare too.

Renea

When making Medicare insurance decisions your state's SHIP program will be of great help! Ship ..."SHIP is your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program. SHIP provides unbiased help to Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers. Whether you are new to Medicare, reviewing Medicare plan options, or have questions on how to use your Medicare, SHIP can help." Retired NEA conferences I still attend have SHIP sectionals that are so informative. We have been on Medicare for about 10 years but still use our state's SHIP to help us make insurance choices. In fact, we have an appointment today to review our best options for drug coverage. Make an appointment with SHIP and they will explain your choices. They are unbiased and just give you the facts.

calumetteach

My husband is on Dupixent. He is exploring drug plans with Medicare. He has severe eczema. He said it would be $4500 a year with the cheapest plan…just told him about SHIP. Thanks so much!

When we were in Ireland I needed a refill for a prescription that spilled. I called the local dr. We had a phone conversation and I got the medicine. The medicine here is $350 a bottle. I paid $30 for the medicine and the phone call/visit was free. Pharmaceuticals are money hungry here.

Advertisement