• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

It will be a big week!

PEPteach

I am hosting/fostering a 2-year old this week! I am feeling all the emotions! I wasn't sure if this would ever work out due to day care needs/flexibility (most day cares either don't have availability or the flexibility to accommodate such an inconsistent need), but the details have all been worked out in an amazing way. Friends and family have been so generous in loaning/donating toys and supplies. I have been very excited, but yesterday and today I'm feeling quite anxious, as well. Most placements are quite a bit longer, so I'm happy I got this one as my first. It will be enough to get my feet wet and give me a good taste of it before a longer-term commitment.

Pick up is tomorrow! I have a lot to do before then. We shall see how this new adventure goes! Prayers appreciated. :)

Advertisement

luvmycat

I am so in awe of your willingness and desire to take this step. I hope that is a great experience for you.

Thanks for the updates!

Advertisement

kahluablast

Good luck! Try to keep the anxiety under wraps. Poor baby will also have a ton. I hope this experience is positive for both of you.

Keltikmom

PEPteach foster

Breathe…..you’ve got this. And so lucky you can start with a short term circumstance. Enjoy and give love.

JanetL

I admire you for doing this and wish you the best! Just curious, does your district give you time off for this?

eliza4one

Congrats!!! Shower him/her with love, love, love. If you think you are anxious, imagine how he/she feels. Poor baby. :( I'm so glad you are doing this.

Prayers going up for both of you.

PEPteach

Thanks everyone. Your prayers and words of encouragement mean so much. It will be really interesting. Yes, I will have to throw my anxiety to the side and love her as best as I can.

I could definitely do something like this.
Yes! The program is called Safe Families and they are in Canada, too! Just not sure if they are in your area.

Just curious, does your district give you time off for this?
I don't think so. I assume if I need to take off for my child, it would be a sick day. I would hope if I adopted (which I don't plan on at this point) I would get maternity leave, but that's an interesting question!

Lilbitkm

Thinking of you and praying all goes smoothly!

Just curious, does your district give you time off for this?
I don't think so. I assume if I need to take off for my child, it would be a sick day. I would hope if I adopted (which I don't plan on at this point) I would get maternity leave, but that's an interesting question!

We have to use our sick/personal days for any days we take off (exception is professional development), including maternity leave.

All we have here for “maternity leave” is FMLA which guarantees you a job in the district, but not your current position (never been a problem at my school though- principal decision) and it’s unpaid unless you have enough time saved to use.

GraceKrispy

Sending you tons of good thoughts! What a lucky child to be placed with you <!--lovestruck--> let us know how it goes, and thank you for being a safe space for this little one.