• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Kids that cut things.....

Other 

7more

Grrrrr! One of my students thought it would be dandy to pull up my sit spot letter L and cut it apart! Anyone know where I can buy one sit spot L?

• 8B663472-6A72-4207-A54C-7EBD61F048F8.jpg
    137.2 KB
Advertisement

TAOEP

Very annoying. I would just finish the cut, throw the smaller part away and leave the rest as is. Thankfully, the cut doesn't go through the letters.

7more

Cut

Oh she already cut it completely apart! 🤣 I’m just annoyed with it because I spent my own money on the sit spots. I need to let it go. She likes to do things like this to get attention is mom said. It took everything in me to not react. 😮

TAOEP

I totally see why you are frustrated. Could you enlist her help to do something to make your room nicer, trying to get her to take pride in HER room. Perhaps that would help her to understand that it takes effort to make things nice and that she can help maintain them.

Munchkins

Spots

I would ask the mom to replace it. She’s obviously aware that her child can be destructive. Grrrr...,

Lakeside

Scissor-happy child would be stuck with the L spot for the rest of the year.

And I would be having a discussion with mom about the difference between positive and negative attention.

Advertisement

ZipLine

Can you tape it together on the back side, back it with yellow construction paper, and laminate it?

Scissor-happy child would be stuck with the L spot for the rest of the year.
<!--giggle-->

I’m sure you can come up with an appropriate response and consequence. Good luck with Little Miss Attention Seeker.

LazyLake

Can't you just tape it back together and laminate it again? Or, can you print out another one from your computer?

Sad to say, but over the years, I've seen worse destruction to tons of items I've made. I think what makes it worse is that our own time and money is spent on a lot of these items that students end up destroying/ not respecting.

7more

Consequence

We will be having a class meeting today and my cutter will be cleaning something to make up for the cutting. I’d love to be able to laminate it but it is made of Velcro and it wouldn’t stay on the carpet. She will also get only preschool scissors now and not be allowed to work on the floor. She also cut her pencil box name tag while working on the floor while I was doing reading groups.

MissAgnes

Lock up the scissors.

I have to keep the scissors away from the students, or some would be cutting paper all the time.
I don't allow them scissors or glue unless we are actively using them, and I can monitor. And I teach 4th!

broomrider

the company

will send one free sample to check for rug compatibility.

Write or call and explain your problem and they may send you an Ll sample or suggest a fix. This is certainly not the first occurrence in a classroom. They may have a solution.

7more

Student who cut my sit spot

Follow up on the student who cut the sit spot. She did finally apologize I feel in a sincere way. I had her do some “chores” for me. During our class meeting when I asked each student to tell me how they can keep our classroom nice her response was to not cut things that aren’t paper! This was without prompting. I’d love to ask the parent to pay for it but I teach in a very high poverty area and would rather make sure the money they do have goes to food and shelter. I am going to email the company to see if they will sell me just one letter. We shall see.

Summerwillcom

OHHHHHHHHHH I liked Lakeside''s

consequence best until I read yours. Little Miss L will have some meaningful consequences! Good for you!!!!! It is hard in schools nowadays to come up w/ ones that fit the crime that don't have admin backing a kid...lol<!--coffee-->

7more

Update

I emailed the company with a picture of my order and a picture of the cut velcro letter. They emailed back today and asked for an address to send a new letter free of charge!!! I’ll keep you posted on if it comes. The name of the company was Teacher Creative Resources.

Last edited:

7more

One more update on the cut letter.

Not only did the company, Teacher Creative Resources, send my a new L sit spot they sent a whole new alphabet. :)

Advertisement