• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Matching Room Set-Up with Literacy Goals

1stgradenew

Bookmuncher

I'm thinking maybe the two sets of 12 desks might work better too! Maybe I can move the round table a little closer to the door which will help to fit the long islands. I'm not sure about everyone being able to see the board or not- I did what you did when I taught first b/c it just didn't matter- I never really taught anything from desks- but I'm just not sure about 5th grade yet. So my plan is to start with everyone seeing the board but then if I find it not necessary I will change it.

Ps- I have a couch and a mini-futon thingy (that's the best way to describe it) in the carpet area<!--lovestruck--> I know this school is for me b/c pretty much every classroom has lamps and couches- which no one in my old school had!

BookMuncher

project school

you better regale us with your heavenly school stories this year! I can't wait to hear what it's like!! I know I've told you a zillion times, but I'm so jealous!! :p

liketeaching1

Class set ups

I'm anxious to know how your room set ups go when you guys actually get into the classroom and start shoving that furniture and all those desks around! I like all your ideas. I've always sketched my main areas/furniture but I've never gotten down to the art of considering lamps, etc.

:confused:I'm struggling with having more students this year and thus...too many desks!

I have 21 warm bodies today so I'm thinking three 7's might be better than the four groups I now have. Any ideas to help? (For those of you who are still on vacation--relax a bit for me, PLEASE!<!--eyebrow-->

1stgradenew

Wahoo!!

I am so happy that I did the detailed plans because in one day (5 hours) I got my entire room put away- everything organized and put in correct places (started with boxes from my old classroom stacked in the corner), as well as got my entire room set- up. All I have to do tomorrow is get some carpet pieces and a table cloth. Now BB aren't done and such, but what I did today took with 4 days last year:D

I ended up doing the 2 islands of desks which fit perfect. I also took the mini-futon and pushed it forward about 5 fit and then created another space behind it for non-fiction. I was able to hang my paper laterns (hope they are still up tomorrow-fingers crossed)- one above the large meeting area and the other above the space I created behind the mini-futon.

Thanks Bookmucher for all the time you saved me with your lay-out ideas!

I promise to share all that I learn! I'll pay attention to primary info when I can, too (since I hope to get back next year!)

BookMuncher

liketeaching and 1stgradenew

liketeaching-- i'm a big fan of three groups. I pushed mine into three groups today and it made room for other spaces that I wouldn't otherwise have. I do have smaller numbers this year (hopefully around 18ish), but I used your dining room table idea (THANK YOU!!) and so I have three tables of 6, all with one in the middle. If I need to make one into 7, I have room to push two of the side by sides down a little and add a 7th. If I were you, I would try the three groups-- it always makes the room feel bigger.

1stgradenew-- wow! you did move! I don't know how you did it... you're way ahead of me! It's the books that are killing me. They are just out of control. Please please please post pictures soon!!!

1stgradenew

books

Well, I wish I had books everywhere- b/c currently I have none! :( Just blue and green bins everywhere. I'm waiting for a few ebay bids to end, and for the books the school gives me ( my principal is awesome- she is ordering me some with school money and then we also have making meaning- which comes with books).

I've got to go through all my picture books and pull out some poetry as well as those great picture book that I will use in 5th.

I've also got to hit the library next week for my 50 book limit- the library will be my best friend this year LOL

Yay! I just won a bid with 150 books-let's hope they are good. It's hard b/c I don't know a ton of 5th grade level books

liketeaching1

Love the setup time!

Setting up is one of my favorite things to do. Needless to say, I'm feeling overwhelmed and a little down tonight so hearing your excitement 1stgradenew and BookMuncher helps a little! (Our first day was today and I'm tired!)

Glad that we could help each other. A couple of teachers have the long island setup for their classrooms I noticed today. It does seem to give more room.

BookMuncher, I may go in early and shove those desks one more time into the 3 7's. If I can find a couple of extra desks I may even go ahead and make the dining room setup with the extra one. It may end up giving me more room than my four groups do now. We were having some problems walking between a couple of areas due to the new and expanded meeting area (ooohhh--that sounds like my waistline :D).

Well, I'd better go read a little of Reading With Meaning. Debbie always seems to inspire me. If that doesn't work, I'll go back and read your blog from the beginning of first grade, BookMuncher. ;)

BookMuncher

liketeaching

<!--sing--> Chin up! ;) First days are always EXHAUSTING! <!--yawn--> But I'll bet you have your 21 kiddos so pumped about first grade. They are really lucky to have ended up in your room. Let us know how the rearranging goes and have a good 2nd day!:D

liketeaching1

Dining room effect

I made it work for my 21 students! Putting them in three groups of 7 instead of four groups helped. I still made room for the extra desk in the middle to help spread the kids around. It wasn't exactly like I had envisioned with more than 18 students--the formation was different. It reminds me of stairsteps!

Thanks Bookmuncher and 1stgradenew for posting your plans!

• MVC-001F.JPG
    78.9 KB

BookMuncher

cool!

Hey! That looks really great!! Mine are set up the same way except the two that are directly facing each other face the group. I can see why you did that though... so they all can see, right? ;) I'm psychic!

It looks really good... I think that putting the table in the middle is worth a little more extra space so that you never have to deal with the "secret little shoves" of the bucket onto the neighbor's desk. It will give everyone their own personal space!

liketeaching1

Psychic?

Bookmuncher, you figured out why they are all facing kind of the same direction. I need them that way right now because of teaching handwriting and sentence structure. I haven't figured out a way to teach that from the floor with clipboards.

Later on, I hope to be able to turn them into more of a "group" effect--just like you said yours were turned. Amazing minds think alike I guess. It really seems to give them "space"! Today we became familiar with some of the math manipulatives and it really became a "group" share. If I had set them on ANYONE's desk I am sure they would have thought it was just for them. LOL

I stayed late and really straightened up the room, put away materials that were donated, etc. and at least I left with a little more sanity!

How is your room setup going?

BookMuncher

rooms

Isn't it sad that we have to stay late to feel better? I'm glad that you feel a little more solid though! You'll be running smoothly by the time I start! <!--eyebrow-->

My room is coming along... I have a tendency to jump the gun and do parts of it that really should wait. So I have messes everywhere, boxes still unpacked, pieces of stuff all over-- but my proscenium is up! And I might have gotten just a *bit* carried away with it b/c I had leftover felt, so I made some more trees.:o

liketeaching1

The proscenium

I can't wait to see it! Is this one that you can't see the forest for the trees? LOL

I'm sure it will be dramatic and a welcome to the library. I haven't attempted that yet. I was holding my breath when I hung the lantern that the principal would :(:( frown! I figured she might not even notice it since my classroom is at the end of the hallway. Was I wrong--guess whose classroom was "chosen" to have the beginning of school inservice meetings in???? She didn't say anything so maybe there is more decorating in the future. :rolleyes:

Advertisement