• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

More Involved in the Classroom

cbaron

Hello everyone! My field placement is in a kindergarten classroom. My teacher is always willing to let me help in different ways, but I would like to be a little bit more involved (without stepping on my teacher's toes, of course). I walk around the room and answer children's questions and sometimes help the group that needs a little extra push, but I would like to do just a little more. Does anyone have any suggestions for some other things I could do or how to ask my teacher for a little bit more? Thanks!

NoKetchup

Small groups

I usually have college students getting hours in my classroom. After a week of observing and getting to know the classroom I usually have them pull a small group. The group might be students who need extra help in a subject area or it might be groups who need some enrichment.

globalgirl

Start by asking!

If she's anything like me, she's probably so busy keeping things going that she just isn't thinking about it. I recommend that you just ask!
You could ask, "hey, I noticed that Joey and Anna are struggling to learn ____" If you want, I could work with them one-on-one to practice this skill with a game or something"

or "I was wondering if there was someone that you thought could do with some one-on-one help, or a small group that you'd like me to work with while I'm here? I'd love the chance to get some practice with this!"

Advertisement