• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Need to find books

Reading | Literature 
Advertisement

Keltikmom

Books

Try your local library. Most have friends of the Library book sale. The one at our main library is on going. Though, you might not be able to get in right now....

Look to see if you have something like The Children’s Book Project. There’s one in SF where you can choose a ton of books for free or dirt cheap.

Put it out on social media that you’re looking for free, gently used books for classroom. Be a little specific about topics or levels if necessary. Have people leave them on your porch.

TeaPro

Thrift stores! Once you are back at school send home Scholastic Book orders and use your bonus points for free books. I also used the friends of the library frequently. I often had a list of topics/authors and the lady that ran it was nice enough to save the books I wanted for me.

jov

You might want to check with your principal before spending any money. All classroom libraries have been boxed up and put in storage in my district, until school life is back to normal.

Violets2

I second thrift stores, asking for donations on social media especially now that people may have done a massive cleaning, once open--libraries used book sales. Once you get going in your room, yes-Scholastic will be helpful. Perhaps there are also teachers on your staff who are not coming back who have books they are going to part with.

maile0408

I've posted on my personal Facebook page and on Nextdoor that I am looking for books for my classroom. I've had friends and complete strangers donate books for my classroom. I've also looked at the free section of those pages and have found people giving away free books! Garage sales and library sales are another great spot.

kidsrterrific

Books

Even though they aren’t antiques sometimes I find books in antique stores. One time I found a whole series there. It’s worth a check if there are any in your area.

Advertisement