• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Nightmare student is getting away with everything

Classroom Management 

bagano1

I'm long term subbing at a school and this student and his friend are absolutely disrespectful and destroying school property in class. He's even threatened me. He gets sent back the very next day and his attitude gets worse. He harasses me all hour instead of doing his work. I have no idea who he knows or why he is being protected. He always whips out his phone to record me whenever I confront him about his behavior. I suspect that he and his friend are high everyday as well. I haven't asked the other teachers what is going on with this kid, but he seems to be notorious.

I don't want to give any more details for fear of giving up my identity, but I've seen people quitting and suspect this kid is the reason. His behavior is getting worse and he is getting more confrontational. I don't know if he has mental problems or if he is just pushing it because he knows he can get away with it, but it's scary. My strategy for the next week is just to not engage him and to call an administrator down if he crosses the line. He is an athlete, but his sociopathic behavior is so bad that I'm all but certain he is destined for alternative school or juvie the way he is going.

I sub in all sorts of schools and he's probably the second worst student I've ever had. The last one, the teacher quit and I was made the long-term sub until another teacher could be found. That principal at that school was eventually arrested for fraud. That other student had a drug problem too. Not sure if there are correlations going on here. It's hard to manage a classroom when a kid basically is getting away with murder and not being punished for it.

Advertisement

mhugs

threats

When he threatens you bypass the principal and call the resource officer. You have the right to a safe job setting. Destroying school property is vandalism and again could be a police issue. Maybe your school doesn't have police in the building.

Tori58

It's the worst trend in education today, IMHO: this idea that a problem student can disrupt the learning of every other student without consequence.

You should talk to other teachers about it. My first thoughts are: 1) He's protected by an IEP. In some schools, there are no limits to how much a SpeEd student can disrupt the regular classroom in the name of "least restrictive environment." 2) He has a lawnmower parent who is, somehow, influential in the school or community. The son of a board member, teacher, coach, administrator, etc. 3) He is a talented enough athlete that he is being protected by his coach. 4) Everybody is afraid of him or his family. In this case, your best bet is leave him alone. Dealing with this sort of thing is way above the pay grade of a substitute teacher.

hiker1

That's terrible. Is there any way you can keep your phone on record so you have evidence of how he behaves? What do the other students do when he acts this way?

bagano1

They feed off of it. I've seen the classroom when he is out and it's so peaceful, you could sleep on the desk and nothing would happen. I'm kidding, I don't actually do that, it's just an expression I have for really good classes.

One of his friends is really bad too but I feel like without that other guy in the classroom, he would be pretty respectful.

As for the phone, I think it's illegal to take pictures or film students in a classroom. As much as I'd love to do it to provide evidence, I don't want to mess with that. I take pictures of stuff that has been vandalized though. They feel free to take all the pictures they want of me though without consequence. I'm all over social media and not a soul has been arrested.

Advertisement