• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

No-Shows

Other 

Ima Teacher

Today was the first day of school for my former district. Around lunchtime I got a call from HR asking if I wanted to long-term sub at the high school because the teacher they hired was a no-show. Seriously? Who does that?

I declined. I’m able to sub, but not willing to sub unless one of my friends needs me. <!--giggle-->

Advertisement

Cassyree

Years ago we had a first year teacher who didn't come back after Christmas. Didn't let anybody know in advance. Just decided to stay at his parents in NY and look for another job.

Teacherbee_4

No Shows

Part of me wonders if there is more to the story, like miscommunication or something. I would hope they tried calling the person to be sure and to make sure nothing is wrong! On the other hand, with how desperate places are to fill positions, there's no telling who they are hiring!

NJ Teacher

Wow…

Can’t say I ever remember my district having to deal with that. Very unprofessional of the teacher to not give the district a heads-up.

Good for you for not accepting the “opportunity”. In my state, retired teachers can work and collect their pension. They could not pay me enough to return. I left when I was ready, and never looked back.

all41

Oh, how nice of them to call you. But more importantly, good for you for being able to say no if you really didn't want to do it. I would have felt guilty for leaving them in this predicament and maybe would have agreed. In our area subs are about as easy to find as unicorns, and long term subs are even more difficult to locate.

We had a first year teacher leave for lunch and not come back during the 2nd week of school.

Last edited:

TchrFvr

"We had a first year teacher leave for lunch and not come back during the 2nd week of school."

I got the job I kept for 40 years because the teacher left in the middle of September and never came back. I subbed for two weeks, then got offered the job and signed my contract starting the first day of October!

Advertisement

Haley23

We had a long term sub not show up for the first day this year. I could be wrong, but it sounded like from what P told me, she hadn't tried to contact her to ask where she was. I sure hope if I just didn't show up, someone would check to see if I was okay!It ended up being a miscommunication about the start date and she's there now.

Good for you for saying no!

TheGr8Catsby

Did the new hire come to preplanning?

Did they not notice that the new hire just...hadn't set up a room or been to preplanning? Just first day were like 'oh?'

Ima Teacher

I don’t know any details. They said one person wasn’t supposed to come until the first of September because of having to give notice at their old job. That one was handled.

The no-show didn’t come to the other days either. In general the high school teachers don’t do much to their classrooms, much less on their own time. When I taught there, I had one bulletin board in the classroom, and that was it. There were two work days, Monday and Tuesday.

GraceKrispy

Twice, a teacher at my school has come to the first day and then disappeared. Both times it was after a leave. They needed to work one more day (the first day of the new year) in order to have the leave paid for. Then they screwed us over. Two different schools, thousands of miles apart.

Kinderkr4zy

Twice, a teacher at my school has come to the first day and then disappeared. Both times it was after a leave. They needed to work one more day (the first day of the new year) in order to have the leave paid for.

This happned to us twice just last year-1 teach and 1 aide. The teacher was going to go on "medical leave" but she needed to worked at least a day that school year for the leave to qualify as a year of service toward her pension-so she said nothing, got a 3 month leave from her doctor and kept doing that all year every 3 months (the medical leave was because she didn't want to get vaccinated for Covid but also didnt have good enough health to work with kids if she wasnt vaccinated) then she retired.

An aide worked for 1 day-then took paid covid leave for 2 weeks and used her week of sick days to take a 3rd week then quit and never came back.

People are crazy

cruxian

That's crazy! And I know that high school/middle school is very different in terms of set up compared to elementary; I posted a picture of my middle school room and elementary people were like, "OMG it's so bare!" and I kept trying to explain, "No, it's like that here!"
But people still show up for the days before school so it's crazy to think they didn't show up those first two days and then nobody said anything like, "Hmmmmm, maybe we should figure this out prior to students showing up."
Ima, I'm glad you have your preferences for subbing clearly established.

Ima Teacher

We have had people come for a day or two, then disappear. This is the first I knew that someone just didn’t show up.

• Principal came in over the weekend and cleaned out his office & left.
  • Teacher was there one day, then HR found out he had an undisclosed arrest.
  • Teacher moved states, and he wasn’t able to qualify for a certificate here.
  • Secretary was arrested on first day.
  • Teacher flipped out and cussed a whole class a couple of days into school.

cruxian

Wow. Those are a lot crazier than my schools. We just have normal level of flaky/incompetent here. People here should make it more interesting.

readerleader

We had a teacher who called the principal the evening after the first day to say she couldn't handle it and wasn't coming back. It was kindergarten.

The teacher shortage is forcing principals to hire people they would have passed on in the past. It's only going to get worse since many states now allow pretty much anyone to be a teacher. Sad state of affairs.

All I can say, is vote for people who believe in teachers and public education.

Advertisement