• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Obviously Miracle Whip is for psychopaths, but what about mayo?

Hifiman

I've always thought mayo was mayo and I get the store brand, which this time around was Kroger's. It tasted okayish, but it didn't look right. a little translucent.
This time I went for a name brand claiming to be the best food. Much better.

I've lived a long time before realizing something as simple as mayo can be done wrong.

Advertisement

tctrojan

Hellman's

I think it is the same as what you bought. The label is the same except for the name, along with the website.

FionaJ

No joke, it makes a difference. It must be Best Foods/Hellmann’s. And it must be regular, not low-fat or whatever nonsense.

Advertisement

twinmom95

Miracle Whip Light for me. LOL Mayo is beyond disgusting......<!--yuck-->
And I have French Canadian heritage and live 3 hours south of the border, so maybe that's why I think that. Lol!

teachnkids

Okay, I've found something I don't envy about the Canadians

LOLLOLLOL My exact thought!

I grew up in NY on Hellmans and still eat it living in the South. Don’t know that I’ve ever had Dukes, not knowingly anyway!

suzyteach

I grew up on Hellman's in Michigan. When we moved to Oregon (as an adult), I looked for it, and couldn't find it. I saw a label that looked the same, but it was "Best". Then a jingle ran through my head, "Bring out the Hellman's and bring out the Best". Ah ha! Same stuff, different name in different parts of the country.
Yes, brands made a difference. Also, Miracle Whip is icky.

GraceKrispy

Kind of like Pepsi/Coke, it took me a long time to tell the difference between Miracle Whip and mayo. Either is fine with me if I need it, but MW is a little sweeter so it does better in things like deviled eggs, I think.

Keltikmom

Mayo

Yes to Best Foods (Hellman’s east of the Rockies.). Everything else is either too oily or bad tasting.

My mother once tried convincing me Miraclewhip was the same as mayo. I may have only been five but, hey lady, I call bs on that one.

WordFountain

Ok this is so weird. I usually get Hellman’s, but my DH just came home the other day with Duke’s brand and said “the sign said this was the best so I figured we could try it”. LOL

Now I’ll need to report back if I’m in the Hellman’s or Duke’s camp. <!--giggle-->

kahluablast

My dh is a mayo man. I grew up on Miracle WHip. For the first 20 years of our marriage I bought both. After that point I decided I could go either way, so I only bought mayo. However, sometimes I do buy the light because I eat more of it than dh does! I just want to save a few calories and I am willing to do it with a lesser mayo.

I buy cheap, but I can taste a difference. I just don't care. Never saw or heard of Dukes. I bet I do if I ever get to go to a store.

anonymouse

It has to be Hellman's Mayo. I like the one made with olive oil. Miracle Whip is disgusting to me. I would rather do without that have Miracle Whip.

SusanTeach

We buy Blue Plate here, but I like Hellman's as well. Miracle Whip has a tang that isn't appealing to me.

Duke's Mayo is super yummy! I thought it was too high in fat, but I just checked the label and it doesn't appear to be. I may be switching.