• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Oobleck clean up

beachteach

I made Oobleck myself today to test it out. I got food coloring all over my hands! My hands are still green! Yes, I washed them like 10 times. Do you let your kids take it out and play with it at school? I don't see a point if my kids can't play with it. How do you get the food coloring off their hands? I'm worried they might get it on their clothes. Please help! I want to make it tomorrow! Thanks!

Jen

Advertisement

Gina TX

I've made this twice and never had a problem. Here's how I do it. I have them mix the ingredients into a baggie. They are only allowed to put two drops of food coloring in the bag. Then they have to continue to squish it until it's totally mixed. If it's not mixed all the way the food coloring will separate and stay on the baggie. Then I make them keep it in the bag and let it sit till the end of the day. It's fine by then. I guess it soaks in. Hope that works for you. I also found out that the hotter the water you use to mix with the borax the better it disolves.

Renea

I've always skipped the food coloring.

i thought it would stain things. Also just a word of caution, do not pour it down the sink. It plugs up the plumbing.

mrshall

Oobleck Question

Hi
I was reading your post. Does Oobleck have borax in it. I thought it was just cornstarch and water?I just want to make sure I have the right receipe for it for tomorrow. thanks

Tounces

ingredients

There are a few different ways to make it. I have used the cornstarch one myself.
I had mine made already. I demonstrated what it does and why. Then they each got some of their own in a small paper cup.
I didn't let them take any home like most of them wanted.
Instead they copied down the receipe so they could make it at home.
I didn't want them showing others on the bus, making a mess, or getting it on themselves. You may want to have copies of the receipe to hand out to them.:s)

coppsma

My class made it this week

and had no problems with cleanup. We put a few drops of food coloring into the water and stirred it before we poured the water into the cornstarch. We made it in groups of five, each group having a mixing bowl, measuring cups and mixing spoon. They did good working cooperatively (small class) and we played with it when we were done. I did not let them take it home. I sent the recipe home instead. Mom and dad sometimes need something different to do on a rainy day and my class parents are really good at trying this stuff with their families. Cleanup went well too-no green hands and the small drops on the floor dried into powder and was swept away.

Advertisement

Cheresa

Our principals were just OOblecked at Literacy Night. What a mess!!! The kids loved it though. They made the Oobleck in science class and the class that read the most books the last two weeks got to pour it on the principals.

Mr. C

Well, I can't answer your question about staining hands, but I can answer this: If oobleck spills on carpet, don't try scrubbing it clean. Instead, since it is made of corn starch and water, wait until it dries - a couple of days - and the water will evaporate, leaving only corn starch. Just vacuum the corn starch with one of those dirt devil hand vacuums!

PrivateEyes

Gak

i have made GAK, which is the mixture of borax solution and watered glue many times. The first time, we were told to add the food coloring after we mixed up the solution. In other words, add it to the completed product. That made a mess that got all over my hands, too. Since then, I've added the food coloring to the diluted glue mixture before mixing with the borax solution, and the problem was solved.

Gina TX

I've seen it both ways too, but have never got it to work right with the cornstarch mixture. I use the borax mixture and the waterdown glue. Our class has to measure it out in graduated cylinders and then pour it into the baggie. We do have a science lab and that makes the clean up much easier.

Advertisement