• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

pics - tiny room & alternative seating

Other 

Sbkangas5

I had a couple of people ask to see how I used alternative seating in my tiny room. I got my tables moved back today, so snapped some pics. Obviously not everything is set but most of our walls and stuff stay the same from year to year.

This is pretty much the view standing at my inside door, right as you walk in. You can see the walls on either side - it's like a little box! ;) I can only fit four tables in the room. All of the drawers in the back are the kid's cubbies. My desk is to the very right - you can just see the corner. Sorry about the bad lighting. The sun was streaming in!

• IMG_7740.JPG
    120.9 KB
Advertisement

Sbkangas5

Here's another view of 3 of the tables. I took the legs off the circle one, and put the "standing" one up as high as it can go.

• IMG_7737.JPG
    119 KB

Sbkangas5

And here's our rug and group corner. The white "walls" under the board and calendar are actually pop up tables. :)

• IMG_7741.JPG
    130.2 KB

Sbkangas5

And then this is looking out of my inside doors to the space I share with my neighbor teacher and our teacher tutor. The doors can close so we only have one normal size door to open, or they can open up really wide to make it feel bigger. I took some other pics, so let me know if there's anything else you want to see. :)

• IMG_7748.JPG
    98.7 KB

iteachk2010

Thanks for sharing your photos of your classroom and the alternative seating. Your classroom is cute. It looks like you have a lot of storage along that back wall where the cubbies are. Is that a mural painted on the cabinets?

Did you need to put anything on the remaining section of legs on the circle table so they don't ruin the floor/carpet?

How do you use the pop-up tables? Are they like a lap table so the child sits on the floor when using one or does a child use it sitting on a chair or standing?

Advertisement

Munchkins

Nice!

Your classroom looks very inviting! How many students do you usually have? It's an interesting arrangement! I love the tables.

Sbkangas5

It looks like you have a lot of storage along that back wall where the cubbies are. Is that a mural painted on the cabinets?
Yes - we are very lucky to have a lot of storage for such a tiny room! I'd be in huge trouble without it! And the cabinets were painted many years ago. It's starting to look a little worn but it's so charming I hate to ever paint over it!

Did you need to put anything on the remaining section of legs on the circle table so they don't ruin the floor/carpet?
I didn't, and it's been fine on the carpet. If I had it on the linoleum I would definitely need something, though.

How do you use the pop-up tables? Are they like a lap table so the child sits on the floor when using one or does a child use it sitting on a chair or standing?
We use them when we need more table space. The kids have to use a chair. I'm actually thinking of getting some stools from Ikea just for them...

How many students do you usually have?
20-21. Last year I had a student with an aide, and between her, my student teacher, and parent helpers it got really crowded really fast!

I also let them use the floor to work, so rarely do I have everyone at the tables at the same time.

KittyLitter

Wow

Count your blessings! My room is tiny but in an older building so we have peeling paint, linoleum floor, wobby desks, etc. Takes a lot to make it comfortable for everyone. Your room looks great!<!--graycat-->

brigita

Very cute room

I love the drawer cubbies--nothing falls out! I was wondering if you could tell me what you use the rainbow colored folders/paper on the wall for?

Advertisement