• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Place Value 1st Gr.

Wizmer

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website and I'm loving it. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for Place Value lessons/games for 1st grade.

Thank you,
Wizmer

Advertisement

Mrs.H

Digi blocks and place value

I use manipulatives called Digiblocks. They are expensive, but maybe you could ask your school to buy a set for your grade level.

http://www.digi-block.com/?q=HowItWorks

The kit comes with about 1,000 digiblocks. The kids fill up larger blocks with 10 digiblocks. Then the sets of 10 fill up 100. Then the sets of 100 fill up a huge block of 1,000.
Ex. of how it works...It is very easy to see that 42 there are 4 sets of 10 and 2 ones.

Before I used these, I liked the lessons in the Marilyn Burns replacement unit on place value.

Wizmer

Marilyn Burns

Thank you. Is there a lesson on Place Value by Marilyn Burns on this website or do I have to buy a book? Just wondering.

Thanks again,
Wizmer =0)

Mrs.H

marilyn burns

I used the book for the lessons. I'm not sure about anything online.
The book has a series of lessons where students use "place value mats" to break down towers of unifix cubes into tens and ones.
I don't own the book and I haven't used it in a long time. I kind of incorporated those ideas into whatever I teach now.

Here is the link to amazon, but you might be able to find it used online.
http://www.amazon.com/Math-All-Mean...0570816?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191191374&sr=8-2

Corker

Place Value Poem

I have a place value poem that we say daily during our morning calendar activities. I have a pocket chart with 3 pockets. Each day a student puts a straw in the ones pocket. When we get to 10 ones, we bundle them and they become a ten. When we get to 10 tens, we bundle them and they become a hundred.

Poem: The ones are on the right,
The tens are next in line.
Move one more to the left
for the hundreds every time.

Advertisement