• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Positive Vent

Other 

tgbwc

My wife and I are at the top of the pay scale, so we have been "maxed out" the past few years and figured it would be the same here on out. With no more steps we stood to receive market scale adjustments which, when we do get one seem to be in the 1-3% range at most. The pay scale for next year was released and not only will we receive the 4% market scale adjustment for next year, but the school board added an additional step at the top for those who are currently at the top step. I was somewhat surprised by that part. The end result is we each move up about $5,900.

Advertisement

Haley23

That's very exciting! My district completely restructured our salary schedule and I am getting the biggest raise of my career. It's very interesting to me that for years, the district has lamented that they love teachers, want to give them the world, wish they could pay more, etc. etc. but the "money is just not there." Well, after covid people have started leaving the profession in droves. Suddenly the district is realizing they may actually have to pony up to keep people around. Very interesting that they have suddenly "found money" that "wasn't there."

twinmom95

WOW!!! That's fantastic!! I have 36 years, so have even maxed out our 3 longevity levels 6 years ago. This year my raise was $150 and next year it would have been $398 if I weren't retiring early. :rolleyes:

Both my kids make more than me just 5 years out of college, but they also live in big cities.

choppie70

That is awesome!

We negotiate a new contract every three years, so our top tier is adjusted each year.

With our last contract I received a 12% increase over the three years.

mommy9298

That’s great news! We have to contribute to our health insurance based on salary. When you reach the top step, family coverage is over 1,400 a month. Thank goodness the raises are a little better than what they were than in years past. A $150-200 raise at max is not worth it. Every little bit helps.

Advertisement

tgbwc

Oh wow. Our family coverage is $423.90 a month because we both work for the same district. If only one of use worked for the district it would be $529.88/mo.

GraceKrispy

That's amazing!! I'm glad you get a little boost. No steps at my job, but 2% COL increase. Yeah, like that covers it LOL That just started back last year after being paused for several years.

Tori58

That's awesome!

I've been hearing more of these stories lately. It's too bad that it took a pandemic and a massive exodus of experienced teachers for districts to figure it out, but if it results in decent pay for teachers I guess I'd call that a silver lining.

Advertisement