• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Power Point Presentations

Social Studies 

WSU10

This is a mix of a question. It has social studies aspects and technology aspects.

As the final, major project of the year in my social studies classes. We will be working on Civil War presentations. Students will be divided into groups of two or three depending on the class size. Each group will get to choose from a person/group or a battle/event from the Civil War. They will be required to answer between 7-10 questions about their topic. Before they can create their Power Point presentation, they will have to complete an outline. I will print off blank, PPT pages, like you would for taking notes in college. I will have the order and question at the top, they will design the page and write the text on the lines provided.

However, before they can do anything. I want to give them a tutorial lesson about how to create a PowerPoint presentation. Many of these kids have not had the chance to work with this software yet. I want to put a sheet together about the basics of PowerPoint. How to insert text, a picture, a link, change backgrounds, fonts, etc...

Does anyone have a sheet that I could possibly use as a guide to creating something similar to what I want to provide students? Is there any site that has a good guide to look at?

Thank you!

Advertisement

ljones11

What grade do you teach?

I teach 4th, but I think this goes for any age that hasn't ever used Powerpoint before. I start at the beginning of the year and have the kids make a basic Powerpoint about themselves. We go into the computer lab and I model it for them on my computer, which is hooked up to the projector. I walk them through every little step, and give them LOTS of time to play around. That's really the only way they will learn it. The first day, I teach them what a slide is, how to add text, change the font, size, and color of text, and how to add a picture. I'll show them one step, then give 5-10 minutes for them to do it and explore. For many, it's the first time they are using things like copy and paste, or the even the menu bars (File, Edit, etc.) Over the course of a month (we only go to computer lab once a week) we create the powerpoint, with one slide each about favorites, hobbies, family, and school.

I think it's expecting a lot to only do one tutorial lesson and then have them create one all on their own. They need lots of modeling and time to play around--otherwise they will need SO much help as they do their project. I'm sorry I don't have anything to give you, but as I've said, model model model!

WSU10

Thank you!

I teach 5th grade. They have done projects with the other teacher who taught social studies before I took it over full-time. Some did a PowerPoint.

I may make it a two day thing if needed, I'll just need to sign up for the computer lab a few extra days. I like the idea of doing a project of some sort at the beginning of the year. I may do some sort of geography project with them at the beginning of next year.

With this, I may spend that extra day or two modeling how to do different things. The only downfall, I do not know if we can set up a projector in the lab and have it set up for an extended period of time, 2-3 days like I'd like to do. I may have to use the SmartBoard to model, which is the reason for putting together some sort of sheet for them to look at as a reference.

StaceyD

I taught 2nd grade last year and we did power points in science. I went over the basic parts of a power point ( new slides, inserting pictures, inserting text boxes, designs....) On the second day they were showing me new things on power point. Many were inserting video clips and using advanced features. It is amazing how the kids are not afraid of the technology and do so well.

I am in fourth grade this year and have the students I had in 2nd grade 2 years ago. We did social studies PowerPoints and they remembered exactly what to do. We were able to do individuals this time (in second grade they worked in groups of 2 or 3) and they all looked great.

I think once they have the basic idea they will explore and do a great job with their power points.

TexTeacher

All of my kids have laptops, so we have made quite a few powerpoints. One thing I teach my kids is that the powerpoint needs to be cohesive and easy to read. I make my kids use a design template, so all their backgrounds go together. I also talk a lot about sounds and animations, since kids tend to overuse those two things. I make sure the kids understand that the powerpoint is about the text, not the cool things you can put on the presentation.

Advertisement