• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Progress reports went out yesterday and then my principal sent out an email about gra

Other 

snazzyjazzy

I teach middle school and a lot of my students simply do not care. They will sleep during my two hour class (math and science). I wake them up repeatedly but then they fall back asleep. Several will just sit there in almost a catatonic state and following simple directions is challenging. I send home incomplete work, give them the opportunity to make corrections with parent/guardian signature, allow them to come in at lunch to complete assignments, and allow them to come in during my conference period. Work still does not get turned in. I spend about 10-15 minutes during my class offering work completion time for unfinished work. Still can't get it turned in. My principal brought our progress reports yesterday and she told me that I have to call each parent of a failing student and explain how I'm going to help them bring up their grades. Then she said all SPED and SPED likely kids must pass with at least a 70. I bring up 1 student (who we have no paperwork for) who literally does nothing. She said I still must pass him because his mom said he has sped paperwork. I have in-class support for 30 minutes every two hours but neither inclusion person is "strong" in math so they literally just repeat what I say. It is a title 1 charter school.

Advertisement

dee

Ummmm

I'm a sped teacher of 20 years. There is no law that says sped kids have to receive no lower than a 70. I HATE when districts do this. My older son had a very involved iep as well.

So not only do the kids have a disability, the school handicaps them. I'm so angry for you. Unfortunately I have no solution other than argue with ny P all the tine.

Summerwillcom

I was in a district that made us give every

student a 50 no matter what. Then we were told we had to reteach until every child had a 70%.
If you had any old 50's in a gradebook, you had obviously been unsuccessful with that student. :mad::mad: ( Not doing a good job of reteaching!) It was insane.
We were also told never let a kid with an IEP get below a 70 because you were setting yourself up for a lawsuit. We learned pretty quickly that it was a battle we could not win.
I had a kid who just refused to do anything even though it was on her level, shortened, and she and been given all the time you can imagine.
I can't even describe what all I went through for months because I did not give her a passing grade. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably just have passed her knowing what I know now. It was not worth the nightmare I got put through.

I think most of us did it a few times when it was so deserved. Like you described: They were given every opportunity possible to complete an assignment. It wasn't about a disability.
It was about a few kids who just did not care. They were used to being passed along and never facing any consequences.
Districts who do this are just setting kids up for failure in life.
I am sorry you are dealing with this attitude too.

whatever

This grinds my gears...

In my first district, I was elementary resource so not responsible for grades on the grade card...

One time, my DH and I moved out of state and I interviewed at a new school for a middle school position.

I was in the interview with the Director and two others. After a lot of very common questions, it was going well. Then almost as an afterthought, he asked "Do you believe a SpEd student can fail a class?" I wasn't prepared for that that and was taken aback by how it was almost soft lobbed at me. And I just blurted "Well, yeah..." and they shot looks at each other. So I start explaining that if the mods/accommodations were correct, the IEP was being followed, and the teachers were doing their part, it is up the the student to do the rest...

I was super flustered and almost started back tracking... but stopped talking. They then looked at each other again and laughed. He apologized and then assured me that was the answer he was looking for... I got the job.

But now I teach Middle School/High School full tme-- I still stand by my answer. Unfortunately, not many agree with us.

c6g

This is slightly off-topic, but I just have to share it.

Several years ago I was subbing for a 5th grade social studies class, and the students were working on a project. There was a boy with some special needs who had an IEP. I knew his family slightly (very nice), and he was a great kid.

The teacher left me a note saying this student, due to his special needs, was only required to do a portion of the project. I went over to him to quietly explain what he was expected to do.

He gave me an odd look, and confidently told me he was capable of doing the same thing the other students were doing. He did! I was so proud of him, and I think his regular teacher was as well.

Advertisement