• Welcome teachers! Log in or Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

pros and cons of private schools

Laura C

I'm currently student teaching in public schools and the program that I am in does not have internships at private schools. I have been attending private school for pretty much my whole life and am really interested in teaching there, but won't have any student teaching experiences. Feel free to post any pros or cons about teaching in private schools. Thanks!!

Advertisement

superteach113

Private Schools

I've been teaching in a private school (Catholic) for four years. I taught in the public school system for 17 years before moving to private school.
As I try to think of pro's and con's, my only con would be pay. We do not make what public school teachers do. When I left public schools, I took about a $10,000 a year cut in pay. But to me it was worth it. Behavior in my school is excellent. The children like to talk and sometimes do not do their homework, but that is about it for behavior problems. After dealing with all the behavior problems I had in public school, it was worth the cut in pay. The parent club at my school is very supportive when it comes to getting the teachers what they need to teach their children. We receive start up money of about $125 and at Christmas we get about $225, and at the end of the year are given $200 to get things on our "wish lists".

If money is a problem, then I say, go to public school. But check into the private schools in your area and see what they pay, then make your decision.

SC

Pros & Cons

When I first graduated from college, it was in December, and I was willing to take whatever job I could get, since it was in the middle of a school year. I ended up working at a private school for what I thought was temporary, but now that's what I prefer.

Pros
- Parental and administrative support
- Shared values among families, teachers, and students (for the most part)
- Student behavior (my biggest problem is talking)
- Less paperwork
- Less emphasis on standardized tests (we do have them, but they're not a huge deal)
- High academic standards

Cons
- Benefits and pay stinks.
- Sometimes parents think they can control you because they pay for their children's education.
- Some students are rather spoiled.
- We don't have as many resources as public schools because money is always a big issue for us.
- Fewer opportunities for professional development (at least where I work now)

Sometimes I wonder what public school would be like, but then I talk to my friends who have to do so much paper work, teach to the test, and who are stressed, and I remember why I teach in a private school. I make significantly less than they do, but to me it's worth it.

Laura C

other questions

Do you think that the relationships among co-workers is different in private versus public? Many of the private schools in my hometown are affilitated with religious beliefs. How does incorporating religion in the curriculum make private schools better or worse?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :o)

SC

Answers

Here are my answers to your other questions:

Do you think that the relationships among co-workers is different in private versus public?
Definitely so, but maybe depending on the school. My friends in public school quickly made friends at work because they went out for drinks after work, and there were a lot more people there who were close in age.

I work at a small, Christian private school, and I think it would be okay to go out after work, but they all have different church and family things to do, and I'm afraid it would be taboo to "go out for drinks." Most of the teachers are also older than me, which could have something to do with it. In the two private schools where I've worked, the teachers were older...Maybe because they could afford it better than a recent graduate.

Many of the private schools in my hometown are affilitated with religious beliefs. How does incorporating religion in the curriculum make private schools better or worse?
I'm not exactly sure how to answer this, but I'll do my best.

I've worked at a secular private school, and I'm now at a Christian school. For me, the curriculum was better at the secular school because it explored many areas of beliefs, while the Christian school relates everything to religion. While we're allowed to teach that some people believe differently, I think that our history and science leave out a lot of information and doesn't present all sides.

On the other hand, the discipline at the Christian school is much better, because most families share the same values, and it makes learning easier. The learning environment is more focused, so I feel like we learn more and have done more activities because of it.

Advertisement

Miss Melissa

I didn't want to do private school because of the lower pay/bad benefits, but I found a school that actually pays HIGHER than a few of the public school districts near me and has excellent benefits. I know that's not the norm, and I am working in an extremeley affluent community (Greenwich, CT) but keep looking, you might find something great :)

B

bree

anywhere you go kids feel lost no matter what

no matter where you go to highschool kids feel lost and lonely. I am 15 and i came from a public school to a private school. i was new and 4 monthes into it i have no friends and i am a outgoing kid.

S

SassySarah

Sorry

I feel your pain, I am 14 and I am at a private school but if you are new, its hard to fit in sometimes, because private schools tend to be smaller, and everyone already seems to have their friends all made up already and are already in a clique. Eventually you'll find friends... I hope

H

Hollyp2008

School Prvitization

What is the concept of school privatization and how is it benifitual?

Advertisement