• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Read Aloud Novel

stayw/smiles

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good novel to read to my third grade class? I usually read about 10 minutes at the end of the day to wind down. I'm a bit tired of the ones I've read in past years and want to start off the year with something they'll all fall in love with. :)

Advertisement

1956BD

Coupons

A Book of Coupons is the one I always start with. It is about a male fifth grade teacher and his class in France. He gives his students coupons in the story, so I give my students coupons as well for positive reinforcement.

MissLibrary

I like...

Down Girl and Sit: On the Road by Lucy Nolan - a shorter novel, funny, from the dog's point of view
Year of the Dog by Grace Lin - great read from Chinese-American POV
Anything by Kate DiCamillo

Advertisement

relax248

The Hank Zipzer books by Henry Winkler are always a favorite of my class. They are quick to read and very funny! Last year, I read Holy Enchilada and my class absolutely loved it.

Room205

Lots and lots!

I always start the year with the chapter book:
Herbie Jones by Suzy Kline

It's about third grader Herbie and his best friend Ray and their enemy (turned girlfriend!) Anabelle. The boys go through some academic and social challenges that the kids love to hear about. It is very pertinent to third grade, and the kids always beg for more! It's also great because it is the first book in a short series (I think there are 8?) so the kids then scramble to read the rest of the series.

Other great ones:
Chocolate Touch
Ramona Quimby, Age 8
Time Warp Trio books by Jon Scizeka and Lane Smith
Frindle by Andrew Clements
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

yowz

end of the year

The last book our third graders hear aloud is Fourth Grade Rats... we try to teach them to not become fourth grade rats in the coming year

tchis4me

I started reading Key to the Treasure by Peggy Parrish. My students loved it so much I had to buy the other 2 in the series. Great for predicting.

Advertisement