• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Report Card Help!

Grading | Assessment 

trasie

(If you remember, I am a retired upper-grade teacher temporarily filling in as a kindergarten teacher due to a local teacher shortage. I am the only k teacher and since it’s a private school I have no one in another school either. Any help you can give is a blessing.)
I have several questions about interpreting report card skills in math. How do I test the following skills? They are listed as written on the report cards:

Match objects one-to-one. (*Is this counting objects?)
Recognizes, describes, and divides shapes.
Sorts and classifies.
Creates patterns.
Identifies more, less, and equal.
Measures to make comparisons.
Adds and subtracts within 10.
Solves problems using pictures and objects.

It seems we haven’t done so many of these! My choices for scoring are:
0-not yet
1-I am learning
2-yes

***Is “not yet” used for skills not yet taught or not yet accomplished by the student.

Thanks! You have been so very helpful!

Advertisement

funkid

Kindergarten Skills

I’m sorry to tell you, but kindergarten skills have to be assessed individually. It takes time and creates the problem of keeping the other children engaged in activities. Hopefully, they are used to centers or quiet free time. Creating individual skills checklists and gathering needed equipment (blocks for counting, objects for producing or completing patterns, shape blocks or card, and any other needed items. Good luck, as soon as you get a system it will go faster than you think.

Sbkangas5

Match objects one-to-one. (*Is this counting objects?) - yes, have them count a group of 10 objects. They need to show that they are counting each object, so have them point or move objects as they count. They get a 2 if they count them all correctly (at this point - later it would be a group of 20 objects), and a 1 if they can do at least half.

Recognizes, describes, and divides shapes. - that's a lot of skills for one grade! Recognize is easy, just show the shape. Describes - I pick one or two shapes and have them describe or compare them. Divide - I'm not sure about that one. The standard is composing shapes from two or more different shapes. I've never seen it as divide. I guess you need to do all three skills to get a 2?

Sorts and classifies. - give them a pile of objects and ask them to sort and describe how they sorted. Or you can provide the way they must sort (a lower skill IMO than sorting them without a given parameter). Maybe a 2 if they can sort and classify on their own, and a 1 if they need you to give them the way to sort.

Creates patterns. - put out some unifix cubes or other manipulative and have them create 2-3 patterns. If they can just do a simple pattern I'd give them a 1. More complex patterns would be a 2.

Identifies more, less, and equal. - we do this with groups of objects, not numerals. 2 if they can do it all, 1 if they can only do 2/3.

Measures to make comparisons. - they don't need to know how to measure accurately. It's more comparing bigger & smaller, shorter & longer, heavier & lighter, etc.

Adds and subtracts within 10. - The standard does not mean they can solve an equation, but that they can do it with objects, pictures, or equations. They need to understand the concept, not know math facts.

Solves problems using pictures and objects. - give them a simple word problem and see if/how they solve it. They get a 2 if they can solve it correctly, a 1 if they use strategies but mess something up.

The only things I would be grading at this time are matching objects one to one and creates patterns. We have introduced some of the rest but have not taught it to where we expect mastery, and some things haven't been introduced at all. I would just put an NA on things you haven't taught, or leave them blank.

The hard thing with kinders is 90% of the report card assessments need to be given one on one to actually see if they can do it. Group tests are pretty much worthless. It's very time consuming!

broomrider

Also

Sbkangas5 gave some great suggestions. I’m adding a link to an assessment I used often before I retired. It’s not to follow completely (it’s K-2), but to give a idea of how you might organize and present your own assessment.

https://www.center.edu/NewsletterText/documents/Chapter3.pdf

I assembled and kept the materials in a box so I didn’t need to hunt each time I tested. That saved much time and teacher frustration.

And unfortunately as the others already said in kindergarten assessments are not paper and pencil, whole class exercises but one on one. Figuring out what to do with the rest of the class is often the biggest challenge.

Munchkins

N/a

We also have the option of using N/A for not assessed. You should be able to use that for areas you haven’t taught yet, or haven’t formally assessed.

I teach 1st, and we only formally assess 4 numeration skills the first quarter.

Is there someone who can supervise centers while you assess one on one? Or perhaps get you coverage for a day? If they are expecting all of those skills to be assessed, they need to provide some help to you.

Sbkangas5

One other suggestion. If you have a supportive admin, ask if they will get you a subscription to ESGI. It is a game changer and makes assessments and grading so much easier!!

Advertisement