• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Rubrics for kindergarten

Grading | Assessment 

AddieJ

Does anyone have rubrics for specific skills they could share? Do the rubrics change as the year progresses? For example (uppercase letters): 1st quarter: the student would earn a 4 if he/she recognizes all the uppercase letters, a 3 if recognizes 15-25, a 2 if 10-14, and a 1 is 9 or less. Then for 2nd quarter, it's a 4 for all, 3 for 20-25, 2 for 15-19, and a 1 for 14 or less. If this progression keeps going, by 4th quarter, if a child recognizes 22 or less they would still only earn a 1 on the report card. I'm not sure I agree with this system and I need some feedback and ideas for what other teachers use. Does this make sense? I feel as though even in 4th quarter, if a child knows 22 letters, he/she should earn more than a 1.
Help please! Thanks a bunch.

Advertisement

Zia

We do have fluid rubrics moving toward a year-end mastery. We use several DRA tasks. I hope this is helpful?

• FINAL KSBPR Guide.pdf
    195.1 KB

Sbkangas5

ECGen - thanks for those! I'm going to share parts of them with my team. :)

We don't use rubrics for things like letter names and sounds. We just put how many the student knows. I don't think a rubric is helpful for me or a parent with skills that are so black and white.

The only thing we use a rubric for consistently is their writing assessments and our end of the year math assessment.

Zia

And see, I think the rubric helps parents better understand where the child is. Saying the kiddo knows 14/26...doesn't tell the parent that that is below expectations for this point in the year.

Omg, this is the first time I have ever disagreed with Sbkangas! My world is a lil crumbly right now. :(

AddieJ

Don't be crumbly - you've helped me today :)
Thanks for sharing your rubrics - very thorough!

Zia

Addie, I hope it is helpful. I spent untold hours collaborating with my team to create that document. I know some of it is specific to our report card, but some should be general enough for anyone to make use of it.

Advertisement

Sbkangas5

Omg, this is the first time I have ever disagreed with Sbkangas! My world is a lil crumbly right now. :(
LOL

Actually you have a point!;) I can see how a rubric could be helpful in that situation. I'm just thinking of our report card and how seeing a 2 or 3 is not as helpful or clear (to me) as seeing a 20/26 or whatever. Our report card needs a massive overhaul, though. Supposedly we are doing it next year, but I always am in the minority on my team so I kind of dread it!

ICrazyTeach

Thank you, ECGen and NoKetchup! I'm stashing both of those resources in my files. Now I just have to remember to dig them out when I think I could use them!

Advertisement