• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Science of Reading vs. whole word

Reading | Literature 

pinacolada

So I'm in the process of deciding whether to purchase a phonics based reading program like Children Learn Reading or a program with a whole word approach like ereadingpro.

Just curious to know what other have to say about whole word approaches like ereadingpro (like edmark). Are students able to apply what they learn to text/material outside of what's used in the program?

Advertisement

Lilbitkm

What grade is this for?

I firmly believe 99.8% of children need explicit phonics instruction. I’ve never heard of either of those programs you mentioned.

We’ve used many different programs over the year, kindergarten/first grade most recently began using Heggerty phonics and love it.
https://heggerty.org/

(I learned to read through the whole language approach but it doesn’t work for the majority of children.)

Sbkangas5

No question - whole word based programs should be thrown out the window. Everything we know about how we learn to read shows that memorization and just looking at the whole word is not what our brains are doing. So why would we try to teach that way? The science is very clear - we need explicit phonics and phonemic awareness, vocabulary development, comprehension, and fluency to become proficient readers. Yes, some people learn to read well without all of those things. But most people need them all and nobody is harmed by learning through that approach.

Lilbitkm - Heggerty is based on the science of reading, but it is a phonemic awareness program, not phonics.

Lilbitkm

I apologize, you’re correct.

I teach third, we use SIPPS for our Tier3 phonics instruction. They have a Phonemic Awareness program I’m pretty sure.

luvtulearn

I'm OG certified

Edmark is maybe the only program I have witnessed that is highly systematic and explicit that is NOT phonics based. Our sped. teachers use Dibels , All About Reading, and portions of Wilson but their paras use edmark.

edmark incorporates multi-sensory methods but with sight words and high frequency words . Fidelity , repetition , and practice are the key.

I would not recommend this program as the main reading program but supplemental. It is less costly and does not require intensive training but I don't believe it is a complete comprehensive program that incorporates all necessary elements of learning to read. .

phonemic and phonological awareness should be the staple of any methodology in teaching reading.

MissESL

SOR 100% over here. Explicitly teaching phonological and phonemic awareness is vital. Understanding the manner and placement of sounds is also important. Phonology is the literal foundation to reading, and I’d highly encourage you to explore Science of Reading resources.

I admit I am biased, because I am in the middle of LETRS training, but I’m here to tell you it has changed my teaching.

Advertisement

Lilbitkm

I admit I am biased, because I am in the middle of LETRS training, but I’m here to tell you it has changed my teaching.

I just applied for a position as a LETRS trainer so glad to see somebody who enjoys it!

NoKetchup

Masters' in Literacy Education

When I was in my Masters program I spent a lot of time researching early reading topics since I teach kindergarten. All the research I read said that systemic and explicit phonics instruction is the best.

sped91

I use both approaches

I use Phonics First (orton gillingham based) as my primary tool. I have Fountas and Pinnell LLI to use for students who need that approach. I also use Edmark for certain students who need that extra bump. I find Edmark's style of teaching sight words systematically works for some of my students that just aren't progressing using phonics. I have a student with autism who is highly resistant to phonics, but has bought into the structure of Edmark and really made some good progress. Now that he has quite a few words in Edmark, he has become less resistant to phonics instruction.

Advertisement