• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Sharing-Letter and Sound Strips

Other 

iteachk2010

Here are some materials I made a few years ago to use with individuals or in a small group. I thought I'd share.

Letter and Sound Fluency Strips
Letter and Sound Fluency Strips are single-sided, one strip for each letter (Each strip has 2 uppercase form, 2 lowercase form, one /sound/, one keyword picture) I make enough sets to use with a small group. Hole punch and keep each set on a binder ring. We use these strips to warm up/review letters and sounds previously taught. We have a gesture that goes with each letter sound, too.

Clothespin Clip Strips-Letters and Sounds are organized by the letter groups used in the Reading Horizons program. There is one strip for each letter group. Each strip has the letters for the specified letter group on front with the keyword pictures on the back so you need to print double-sided and flip on the short side. You need to laminate before using.

Each child in the group needs one strip and one clothespin. (sneaking in a little fine motor practice <!--giggle-->)
How to Use:

1. Give each child a strip. Review the letter names and sounds first. Say a letter name. Have children use their clothespin to clip the letter on their strips. Check. Continue in the same manner for each letter. Then repeat the process. Say a letter sound. Have students clip the letter that makes that sound.

2. Next, tell students that you will say words. They have to listen carefully to the first sound. They will repeat the word, say the initial sound, and clip the letter that makes that sound. Do a practice one together. i.e. “bag” /b/ (Clip the letter b.)

3. Have students flip over to the back of the strip. Say the name of each picture
together. Have students isolate the initial sound and do the gesture. Then say a
word. Have students repeat the word, say the initial sound, and clip the picture that starts with that same sound. Do a practice one together. i.e. Say “bug.” /b/ (Clip the picture-bounce.)

LG 1 Clothespin Clip Strips-Letters on Front (a, b, d, f, g) and Pictures on Back double-sided. one strip with the 5 letters on front and pictures on back (4 copies on one sheet)

LG 2 Clothespin Clip Strips-Letters on Front (e, h, j, l, m) and Pictures on Back double-sided. one strip with the 5 letters on front and pictures on back (4 copies on one sheet)

LG 3 Clothespin Clip Strips-Letters on Front (o, n, p, r, s) and Pictures on Back double-sided. one strip with the 5 letters on front and pictures on back (4 copies on one sheet)

LG 4 Clothespin Clip Strips-Letters on Front (u, t, v, w, x, y) and Pictures on Back double-sided. one strip with the 6 letters on front and pictures on back (4 copies on one sheet)

LG 5 Clothespin Clip Strips-Letters on Front (i, q, z, c, k) and Pictures on Back double-sided. one strip with the 5 letters on front and pictures on back (4 copies on one sheet)

Advertisement
Advertisement